Lua Kreung Restaurant Bangkok

Coss

I'll put a review in for this restaurant also, but I thought the restaurant deserved a little more of a plug.

This is a restaurant in the Mandarin Hotel, located on Rama IV, not far from Silom and about 50 metres up Rama IV from Wat Hua Lamphong and Sam Yan subway station, heading away from Silom.

Warning, don't try the other restaurants in this hotel, they're crap.

The Lua Kreung however is great, apart from the crooning singers that are the entertainment, the environs are comfortable and subdued.

The menu is wide ranging, with Thai, Japanese, Chinese and Euro offerings. But it is the Thai food of which I speak.

Average prices are in the 80 to 200 baht range, and I ended up sampling a good portion of the menu as the food was, in my estimation, excellent. Wifey also thought the food was extremely good.

Some highlights:

Fried Mullet - a whole mullet, deep fried to perfection and served with a Green Mango Som Tam as a sauce.

Sauteed Clams - basil and chili and such, delicious.

Blood Cockles - magnificent in a tangy sauce.

Thousand year old eggs - with crispy basil leaves, don't try this unless you know what it is, I loved it.

I apologize that I don't have the Thai names for these dishes, I should have filched the menu.

I recommend this restaurant as one that serves really good Thai food at a a reasonable price, in air conditioned surrounds.

Archived