Revenge Against Taxi Drivers

Hugh_Hoy

One of the small irritants I've occasionally experienced in the LOS is a taxi driver who refues to take me to a specific location. Reason is generally "finish work" or "traffic jamb". Of course, I figure it's bullshit and try to change their mind (always without success).

A year ago, it was a taxi driver I hailed in front of the Landmark (where I pick up taxis to go to Pantip). He refused. I asked him why. "No go" was his reason. After about a minute of dialog, I finally said "asshole", got out of the taxi, and slammed the read passenger door. Well, if he didn't understand the word "asshole", he must've understood my tone of voice and the percussion from the door closing :) I got into the back seat of a taxi behind him, told the driver where I wanted to go, and got a nod of approval. While waiting for the traffic to clear, the driver of the first taxi was able to finally get out and come back to my new taxi. He was PISSED ! I'd locked my door to prevent unwanted company, and as he gave me the finger, I merely pointed to his face and then to my dick. This completely agitated the gent to the point that I was about to unlock the door and kick it open...which would've sent him half-way up to Soi 4. About then, my taxi driver asked if I would like him to call the police. He asked TWICE. Clearly, my new taxi driver was a different breed. I declined the offer and off we went.

Last month, the same damn thing happened (in front of the Landmark again). (No it wasn't a taxi waiting...the driver had just let off a passenger.) This time, upon the driver refusing to take me to Pantip, I merely said "khop khun", got out, and let the rear passenger door remain open while I took a taxi behind him. Of course, the heavy traffic kept him from getting out and going back to close it for a while. Not sure how long, as my new taxi was up the street while he was still trying to get a break in cars so he could get out and close the door. :)

Just a small bit of revenge, but if it caught on, maybe some of the idiots driving taxis would get the picture.

Hugh (mak)

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

a taxi driver does NOT have to take you anywhere,

thats his call,

I have many drivers that do not want to take me out to the factory I need to go to, 150 baht fare but not much chance of getting a fare back to the city,

its their call, fine with me :)

but I would be pissed off if he left me in the middle of nowhere for a stupid reason

It makes absolutely no sense to create a confrontation with a Taxi driver, or anyone else in that social strata.

They have a hard enough life without people like you deliberately making things difficult for them.

Believe me you are looking for a LOT of trouble in Thailand unless you learn to control your bouts of petulant behaviour.

Paul

Taxi drivers have the car for a 12 hour shift. They must return it to a specific location in the city at a specific time and must have it cleaned before giving it to the other guy to drive. (Most cabs are driven in two shifts by 2 guys and they always use the same vehicle). So you may well have wanted to go to a place that would have made it difficult for him to get it back to base on time. Or you may simply have wanted to go to or through a heavily congested area.

Don't fxxx with taxi drivers. A year or so ago a local English teacher gave a taxi driver some lip and had a knife punged into his eye. Said guy lost the use of that eye....

Stick

One day last January I was going from Chinatown to Lumphini to pick up my bicycle from Pro Bikes. I was kind of worried as I know the taxi trunks are taken up by that big tank, and I wan't sure how the bike was going to fit into the cab. The cab that I caught from China Town turned out to be a hatchback, the seat folded down nicely and my bike could slide right in there very easily. On the way to the bike shop I chatted with the driver and ended up highering him for a trip to the bike shop then up to Nonthaburi and then to Mo Chit Skytrain.

For the next two hours or so I spent my time with the taxi driver. It turned out that he was an early retiree from Bangkok Bank. He had two children, both in University, the daughter in the best fine arts uni in Thailand and the son at Chulalongkorn I think. He was a very nice guy that was supplimenting his retirement and putting his children though school, and he got my bicycle to Nontaburi, whcih was a great worry on my mind before.

Agree with others here.

What's the big problem?

WHatever his reasons are, who cares, I, for one, certainly don't need to know and leave the car before he finishes his sentence? There are a gazillion other taxi's around who are willing to take you to said destination. No big deal and will only take a few extra seconds.

HH, relax, don't create problems.

I also agree , why f*ck with one when another is happy to take you where you need to go. Had a funny taxi ride last week , was on soi 11 and not knowing how to say " soi 22 " , i simply put up 2 fingers on each hand and said " soi 2-2 ".

Confused taxi driver wanted to take me to soi 2 , I guided him up Suk , past Asoke , then saw a pharmacy with a " 22 " on the name and pointed to it. He laughed and said " soi two-two , haha , soi two-two " was there in no time. Tipped him 100 baht for the ride , a joyful taxi ride.

Bada :grinyes: Bing

small irritant??? asshole?? no go Pantip???

Nah, if the guy would drive you at an other destination I would understand you being pissed off.

That happened to me a few months ago from domestic airport terminal to train station Bang Sue, the guy drove all the way into town, heading towards Hualampong train station, whilst I told him the train I needed to catch left Hualampong by then and needed 30 minutes to reach Bang Sue. I managed to convince him to head towards Sam Sen. I was pissed off. They announced the train by loudspeaker when he stopped at Sam Sen and he looked "what the heck? you're on time for your train....still needed to buy a ticket.. " I did not call him "asshole' btw....stupid thing to do

Archived