No More Falang Girlfriends!

Steve

CS

Mate, it is time you learned that inside every woman lurks a monster be she Thai or American or whatever.

Often the monster doesn't show until you live with the woman but be aware it is there and all women at some time or another will make your life a misery.

I have to agree with Stickman on this one. There are plenty of available attractive women in the west and in the long term you are probably going to have less issues with a woman from a similar cultural background that you are with a Thai woman.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[color:"red"] She says she loves beards she says. I don't have one. Wants me to grow one. I don't want to grow one as I like them. She complains. I say 'I didn't have a beard when you met me did I?' That answer has too much logic in it apparantly. I drive a car with a stick, the clutch has been giving me some problems, however in her mind, I can't drive a stick. Makes little snide comments about 'are you sure you can drive a stick?'. Eventually, the clutch does fail (which she was in it when it did..haha...joking). These aren't the loving, teasing things that couples do, but the 'rolling of the eyes' and 'sneer' ones. [/color]

I think those words are not hurtful unless the "bad tone" is put to them coupled with body laguage. If I teased you "Can you drive a stick dear CS?" with a wink and smile, you wouldn't have a problem, you probably would have thought that I talked dirty :):o

However, if I said the same thing while you are having the problem with the darn car and we are in a hurry to go somewhere, both of us would be pissed off, no?

What people say to each other, IMO, it is not the words as much as the underline messages.

It is to stand up for oneself, Hubby gives me a response right away if I cross certain lines or that I am in a bad mood and I appreciate that for we women have moods and not all of them are pleasant. I do the the talk right away when Hubby does things which irritates me. IMO, a relationship is a give and take and neither of us is perfect.

Hug,

Jasmine

[color:"blue"] I have to agree with Stickman on this one. There are plenty of available attractive women in the west and in the long term you are probably going to have less issues with a woman from a similar cultural background that you are with a Thai woman.

[/color]

From living in the West longer than Thailand and have known more Western women than TW, I do agree with you. It is nice to communicate in the comfort knowing that the meanings are not misunderstood.

Having said that, women, IMO, is another breed sometimes when it comes to communication, we are from Venus, remember???? :D

Cheers! :)

to have less issues with a woman from a similar cultural background

That is exactly the reason why I found my future wife in Thailand and not in Europe. There are not many western women with my background. That starts with smoking and spending patterns and ends with rational thinking and common sense.

Believe it or not, but my lao GF is the first woman I have ever met who seems to have a similar personality and who is striving for the same goals in life as I.

Best regards

Good point.

But also trust in each other is an important factor, maybe the most important factor.

If you don't trust the partner's intentions, you assume that what they said was meant to be nasty. Then you react in kind. Then you both go into a 'death spiral'.

If you have a positive attitude and assume that the other person's intentions are good, it's much easier to keep things on an even keel.

That is not to say that you ignore true slights or that you never disagree. I'm only saying that people in relationships which are heading south tend to assume that the partner's comments are snide, nasty, etc.

Stickman said:

But once in a relationship, it is my belief that things are MUCH easier with a Western woman than a Thai woman.

Now there speaks a man who knows Thai women.

100% with you here Stick.

it is my belief that things are MUCH easier with a Western woman than a Thai woman.

Perhaps, but it's a mistake to equate "easier" with "better"...

Success with something that's more difficult is generally more rewarding...

Having the same cultural background is a big plus. The U.S. is a huge country and there are regional and ethnic differences. East coast (NY, Philly, NJ, Boston) are more straightforward and may be a little 'harder', and that's all nationalities, its the region.

I went to college in the deep south and there are differences down there. The women are much 'softer' in their ways of dealing with people. California women...well, the stereoptype is accurate...haha..

Also, there are things that American black women will understand without my having to explain, which is cultural. It is easier to understand your mate if you come from the same cultural background, that's agreed but I've (and I'm sure others as well) have met some Thai women who you just seem to share the same soul with.

Nice, sweet, kindhearted women are ALWAYS easier to get along with no matter the cultural background. I've dated various women from all different backgrounds, ethnicities, race, etc. and I've had an instant connection with some women who barely speak english. Can't explain it but it has happened.

Those that know me, know I'm a very outgoing person who can take teasing and joking as well as the next person. I know the difference. For instance, one of the things that attracted me to her was when I was telling her a story before first went out. It was a story about past relationships. Some I was the good guy, some I was the bad guy. The bad guy story I told was when I was living with a girl and I was seeing someone else and had to get out of the house but didn't know what to say as an excuse as I used up all the past ones. I told her I was going to the store for plums at about 11pm at night. The store was walking distance. I drove my car anyway and 3 hours later, at 2am, I came back...with plums! lol....basically I went out and was seeing someone else. On our first date she brought a bag of plums and said 'if you need any, no need to go anywhere!' I thought it was very funny and showed a great sense of humor. I didn't take it as anything but her having a good sense of humor.

I know the difference between playful teasing and cynicism. It started after we got intimate and when she felt comfortable enough to do little things as she thought I liked her too much to do anything about it. Wrong assumption! haha...

I have no hard feelings. I feel very lucky to get out of it. Even if she had called and said 'I'm sorry, can we try again' I would have said I appreciate the apology but I thought it best we just remain friends.

Archived