Win a date with Schappelle's translator !

gobbledonk

Now that I have your attention ( :: ), consider this:

Schappelle would actually be better off throwing herself at the mercy of the Indonesians and saying 'I did it, and I'm really sorry - can I go home now ?'

As bizarre as this sounds, that was the advice given by another Aussie who has done time in Bali. Whether this ties in with the claim that any plea for clemency from the Pres is an implicit admission of guilt, I dont know, but its no less crazy than appealing to the High Court and, potentially, having the sentence changed to 'Death by Firing Squad' ....

BTW, Eka has assured me that, while she enjoys opening her fan mail, she isnt really interested in a casual relationship with any Bule at this point in time ::

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm on the other side of the planet and didnt get much press info on this until the final verdict , the pics i saw looked like she just completed 20 years :: , instead of the one's she is facing :( Her life in finished as she know's it , very sad :(

Bada Bing

I'm on the other side of the planet and didnt get much press info on this until the final verdict

Hi Bada,

It seemed like every bloody newscrew on the planet was there for the verdict - apparently it caused some friction with the local media. Its one thing to get 20 years, another to have every reaction scrutinised by talkback hosts, self-appointed 'experts' and assorted other media scumbags.

Cheers,

Artie

Hi,

I am sure that I wasn't following that story as closely as you astralian did. Mind, I got most of the info on it via The Jakarta Post and german papers. There is a very good article about it in The Jakarta Post today. Headline 'Corby's drug trial and Australian public opinion', as there are two articles today. No link as content always changes, and it's a bit long to include it in my post. Anyone who can't find it send m a PM, I saved it on harddrive.

I have a quaestion about something that I don't understand: I read somewhere that there's an australian convict who confessed that he put the dope in Schappelles bag. If so, why didn't they bring him forward? Or was this misinformation?

That a confession gets you a lighter sentence isn't confined to asian countries. Works at home as well. And the media bashing onto the justice system of a foreign country mostly has a negative effect resulting in harscher sentences than usual. Which gives the tabloids even more reason to give these 'unfair foreign bastards' a hard time.

Anyway, if Schappelle is guilty or not, I consider 20 years (or 10 if she's released after halftime) in an indonesian prison a real nightmare.

I think she's guilty and all of Australia is being hoodwinked...my belief in this stems from a sixty minutes interview,where she was asked the question " did you do it?" i'm no expert in body language,but her eyes gave it away,and to me,her answer was not from someone who has been unjustly arrested and their life destroyed....there was no anger....the truth will come out in the end though.

The Balinese jail she is in,is far from a hellhole,as long as you have money ,her friends/family can bring in any types of food and even cold cans of beer....a single cell can be had as well,as long as money is paid plus luxeries such as electrical goods,tv etc...so it is reported in an Australian paper.

Zorro,

re the bali bomber. There have been handed out more than one death sentence, three at least, and life sentences as well.

I guess you refer to the light sentence for Abu Bakar Baasyir? Not only indonesia has problems convicting people for their roles in terrorist acts. For the ones planting the bombs they are either dead or can be convicted using hard evidence. Fine, no problems. Either way they'll never confess against their leaders, rather lie out of their ass that the leader never new about anything. Without hard evidence it's difficult to convict the leaders in a fair trial.

There are some unlawful countries in the world that lock away suspects without trial or evidence, or fail to give a fair trial. You think Schappelle would be better off in such a country?

Misterblonde,

that's still at least 10 years ongoing payments. Not sure they will raise the money. Still I won't change with her.

Not sure if she will be happy with a TV. You ever watched indonesian TV? To me it was mostly boring. And didn't get better when I started to understand the language...

That money influences justice isn't something I like, but one of the facts in life one has to accept as given.

Archived