Win a date with Schappelle's translator !

gobbledonk

Smuggling a bit of pot or being a terrorist bombing innocent people ....which do you think is the greater crime?

That is the point i am trying to make.

Punishment doesn't really fit the crime IMHO.

Carlton68 said

"There are some unlawful countries in the world that lock away suspects without trial or evidence, or fail to give a fair trial. You think Schappelle would be better off in such a country?"

Strange comment. Yeah, she could be worse off but not in too many countries.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<<I have a quaestion about something that I don't understand: I read somewhere that there's an australian convict who confessed that he put the dope in Schappelles bag. If so, why didn't they bring him forward? Or was this misinformation?>>

He testified he "Knew who planted the drugs" but refused to say who! ::

Claimed, perhaps quite rightly, that he was scared of being killed.

The one thing that only came out in the Aust papers recently, and verified by Aussies I know living there, is that Aussies are scared to buy dope from locals, scared it could be a sting. So instead there is a very lively trade of Aussies selling to other Aussies, regardless that it;s more expensive than the local variety of drug.

This hasn;t recieved much air time in Australia, instead the message being told (and the one I first believed) was that "Why would a drug smuggler take drugs to Bali, where there are plenty of drugs locally grown?

Innocent or Guilty? The two locals I know are both aalso very unsure,

Jail in Indonesia - punishment far worse than the crime!

DOG

There is/was never any firm or proper evidence presented that indeed any baggage handler "planted" the 4.1kgs of vacuum-packed and formed dope into her boogie board bag...it was part of her very inept defence legal team's attempt in defending her and is worthless without proof...baggage handlers at both ends trying to transport, place and recover a huge package of dope (the equivilent of a shortish road distance trip) would be just too reckless and risky for such a lowish-value item, in Australia.

The Bali bombers mostly got life imprisonment sentences, the "supposed ringleader" cleric Bashir got way less because once the case got to court, the Americans chickened out for various reasons of their own, and would not provide all the evidence that the prosecution required - they wimped out at the last minute, leaving the prosecution with very little to go with - hence the Indonesian court could only listen to the handful of flimsy facts presented to them - just like the Corby crap, a court of law in Indo or Australia will only deal with fact or the reasonable assumption of fact, not feral screaming parents, media or other worthless contribution... :beer:

Corby might just be actually guilty of the charge in as much as that she was actually attempting to get them into Bali to sell to the expat population who want to buy much better quality dope than the local weed and avoid the very real risk of buying from an Indonesian/Bali native undercover policeman and risk a real penalty if caught...

If anyone wants hearsay and scuttlebutt...then Bali surf-shop operators say that Corby was previously known to them from previous visits in trying to flog-off quality dope to expats and Europeans only and establish her own distributorship system...

SC

That is an interesting story indeed.

Why take the risk in Bali when you could do the same thing in Australia? It doesn't make sense to me. It is not like she is going to make a fortune from 4 kgs anyway.

Very stupid, if what you say is true.

Regardless, I maintain that innocent or guilty 20 years for pot is ridiculous.

Dog, Cowboy,

thanks for the info. A boogie bag, you wouldn't leave this at check-in but rather take it into the cabin of the plane. But if she took it on board, how can someone plant drugs in it?

To me it all sounds like another drug mule serving the 'it was planted on me' line.

Zorro,

yes i think 20 years is too much, but then I won't be smuggling dope to indonesia anyway.

'Smuggling a bit of pot ', to me 4 kilos is more than 'a bit'.

Even the dutch would agree.

And please don't compare it to a crime that lacks evidence. While you and me believe that Abu Bakar Baasyir should rot in jail we don't have any evidence to back it up. I rather have fair trials based on evidence than mobs based on peoples (my) opinion.

And if you compare it to the convicted bombers, death or life imprisonment is quite something. Think about what she might have got without all the circus? 4 years, out at halftime?

I have followed a few cases with westerners involved in drug posession in asian tourist destinations. I got the impression that both courts and diplomatic services like these cases to be settled quietly. Light sentences (compared to locals and asian/african drug mules) and an early release on probation or pardon. Seems this wasn't an option in this case.

carlton68 said:

There are some unlawful countries in the world that lock away suspects without trial or evidence, or fail to give a fair trial. You think Schappelle would be better off in such a country?

When will you guys cease and desist in this bashing of Amerika? :)

The boogy bord was another odd part, her Brother in Law has a surf shop, why take a boogy board all the way there? A surfboard I could understand, but a boogy board???

The 4 kgs is quite a few $1000 worth in Bali, maybe she took it for recreational, lets face it, cute as she is, she was a beautician! Err - No offence anyone who has a beautician as a wife! This was a Aussie blonde one, very different from Thai ones!

DOG

Am afraid the Bali stuff doesn't end there though...during the trial, a middle-aged expat, can't remember if he was American or not, got arrested at his home in the secluded hills of Bali with about 1 gram or so of hashish, enough only to roll a real small joint with, in quantity, they showed the amount in a news story and the poor dismayed bloke - and he now faces the death penalty for this offence as well! F**rk me!!!! :shakehead

Hi,

within the last hours I went through several pages in the web to get some more info about the case. There's tons of writing about it, many blogs and discussions like here. Prooves we are a civilized bunch here. The comments there about the case and the catfights between contributors often don't resemble a discussion between humans.

I found comments which displayed such hate against indonesia and indonesians, a nazi couldn't put it better. The ones shouting 'kill Schapelle' aren't any better. I also dismissed comments like 'how dare they prosecute one of ours after they got so much tsunami aid'. And of course heaps of 'I believe Schapelle is innocent' often added 'she's so beatiful and innocent'. Well, a court isn't actually the right place for believes. It's more about facts. And if you go by looks I possibly eat babies for breakfast, but only after I drugged and raped them (now I'm exaggerating). And then there are sites that (deliberately?)get facts wrong (as far as I can say). The fact that there's no jury in indonesian courts is used to show Schapelle won't get a fair trial. And many complain she got more time than the Bali bombers, which won't get true just from repeating it over and over.

Lots of exitement, not many facts. Nothing much that helps Schapelle.

Rather than putting on my opinion I'd like to point you to an article that I almost didn't read because of the headline.

The case against our Schapelle

I might add that I find 20 years too much for that crime. The prosecutor asking for death must have something else on his mind than justice.

Sorry, one more question: if there's an indonesian drug mule caught in australia, you'll set her/him free if she/he claims the well known australian baggage handlers planted the drugs?

Archived