Win a date with Schappelle's translator !

gobbledonk

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As far as I know about this case.

- when you travel => always lock your luggages.

- I wonder what would have been the media coverage if she was not so "cute"?

- Yes it is a "good" thing she avoided the death penalty but I wonder if we have the right to tell another country what its legal system has to do.........

Now I think she is guilty, as I won't undestand some dealers putting the drug in the bag of someone who is not in connection.

Yes I know about other cases when the personns where "genuinely" suprised but these were little quantities.

Anyway when you travel abroad remember

this is another country with different laws.

::

Derryn Hinch (yeah, I know ..) made the point that no-one gives a shit about the other 45 Australians sitting in Asian jails for drug smuggling - Schappelle has the right backing and 'profile' to win sympathy.

On the point of whether or not someone would put drugs in her bag, her defence argued that the drugs would 'normally' have been removed by baggage handlers in Sydney (she got on the plane in Brisbane), but that they must have been watched / otherwise engaged and failed to make the 'pickup'.

As one of the transport workers union officials said, 'Why take that much risk to get drugs interstate when you can place bags of the stuff in several locations on a long-haul truck without arousing suspicion ?'. Whatever the case, it still amounts to hearsay - until they get a baggage handler who comes forward and names people (instant death sentence for said handler), its prosecution 1 - Corby 0.

Hi

had to sleep a bit and want to follow up now.

Why does everyone assume that she was facing death penalty. It's been pointed out in several places that this was very unlikely. I quote from the article in The Jakarta Post that I mentioned yesterday:

'One thing that was evident from the beginning is that Corby never faced the death sentence as was widely and wildly suggested by the Australian media. Not one person in Indonesia, foreigner or otherwise, has been sentenced to death for trafficking marijuana. All the death penalty cases have involved large amounts of cocaine, heroin or ecstasy.'

I might add that I remember less than 500gr heroine was enough to send an african into death row. And while they hand out death sentences to women I got the impression that women get lighter sentences. Can't back this up, just my impression.

gobbledonk,

I like to comment on the objections you put together (and that I understand aren't neccessarily your own)

1. That she didnt get a 'fair' trial

- no forensic evidence was admitted

* That's a flaw, as Schapelles fingerprints would have ended the discussion early. Fingerprints from other suspects (if identified and found) would have filled a lot of blank space and might have helped her.

- the judges appeared disinterested in the baggage-handler claims

* I am as well. For one the story is quite far fetched: Choosen her bag AND missed it on transit. Second they were caught smuggling cocaine (differnt drug, high profit) from abroad into indonesia (and not on domestic flights). Plus it seems they were using a seperate suitcase for it and not hiding it in passengers baggage (not sure about this though). You ruled out stupidity for Schapelle, but imply that the baggage handlers hauled 4 kilos of cannabis in and out of restricted areas, with the possibility to loose the bag or get caught, and almost no profit. Better allow stupidity for all. Unless these baggage handlers confess that they were smuggling cannabis on domestic flights, or police can pin it on them, I cannot see a connection to Schapelles case.

- the Indonesian system implicitly puts the burden of proof on the defense, not the prosecution.

* as pointed out in the articel I linked yesterday this is not that they put the burden of proof onto the defense. The prosecution has all the evidence needed. A person trying to get drugs into the country. And that is the same all over the world. GOTCHA! Prosecution is happy, they have a case. They'll give you a bonus if you help to get your contacts as well. Australia does it just the same. Ok, they'd possibly fingerprint the package. It won't help Schapelle, but indonesian police seems to use forensics in drug cases involving foreigners. They did in the case of the bali nine.

2. That 20 years for dope is manifestly unjust

* Right. Schapelle's a victim. A victim of all the people who fucked her up the ass just to get publicity.

3. That no-one would be silly enough to try to smuggle drugs *into* a country which had the death penalty for even small quantities.

* I thought here on the nanaplaza board we agree that a stupid is born every day? And the Bali nine should have known better about possible consequences, still they were 'stupid' enough to proceed. Every day people commit crimes which are punishable by death in the countries they were committed. Saying they can't have done it because they can't be that stupid is neglecting reality.

And then in your last contribution 'until they get a baggage handler who comes forward and names people (instant death sentence for said handler), its prosecution 1 - Corby 0'

Why death sentence? Never done for the posession of cannabis. Also why should this person be prosecuted in indonesia. The baggage handlers are detained in australia.

Now a wild guess from myself: one way or the other Schapelles sentence will be reduced dramatically and released as early as possible without the indonesinas loosing face (which is a bit tricky as long as australias call indonesians barbarian untermenschen). And maybe at one time Schapelle will admit that she was stupid enough to take pot to Bali.

quote]suadum said:

Eka is probably the hottest translator on the planet. *Almost* makes me want to go to the tourist trap that is Bali! Here is a poor pix of her for those who have no idea of to what we are referring:

0,1658,5011945,00.jpg

Cheers,

SD

Suadum.

Eka has a typical indonesian face, and there's millions and millions women like her all over the archipelago ; just travel across Java, from Surabaya to Jakarta, and stop in Solo, Malang, Yogja, Semarang or Bandung, and you'll find more availables "Ekas" than you'll need. Plus millions others much more attractives.

::

Anyway, arrivals in Bali have returned to pre-bombing levels, with almost 120 000 visitors only for March (which is still a low-season month) ...... if you want to go, book your hotel in advance !

Torneyboy said:

The boycott has started btw....all agents were sent a survey...63% said they will not recommend Bali to clients...some had reported cancellations as well....

This can only hurt her cause i think...imo :dunno:

Exactly, this can upset the indonesian people and stop a pardon in future. A low profile and do it the way they handle it with Thailand. There was a danish man in a thai prison some years ago, danish queen came for a state visit and a royal pardon for the dane was a natural gesture. :up:

elef,

that's kind of how they handle things.

A few years ago I followed a case where a german woman (even younger than Schapelle Corby) in Singapore was accused of posession of little over 500gr canabis. 500gr being the amount that qualifies for death sentence, at least technically. Not sure if this verdict is handed out in Singapore for that amount, but long imprisonment is mandatory.

It made the news and there was some info available, like she was living in Singapore, dope found in her flat and she claimed it's been her boyfriends dope (who left Singapore a few days before and was never prosecuted anywhere). But news went quiet about it after a few days and merely reported the facts. And the foreign ministry stepped in and was pulling strings. All very quietly.

And then the magic took place: Forensics in Singapore had a closer look at the dope. Found it not to be 100% pure and decided only the pure portion of the dope should be taken into consideration. Surprise, this happened to be LESS than 500gr. Therefore mich lighter rules applied. If my memory serves me right she was sentenced to 3 years in prison and released after two.

Need to be done quietly, they dislike being ordered around as much as we do.

<<I believe that several board members have found themselves in similar situations, not only in Thailand, and that its almost always a setup. Money changes hands, problem goes away. >>

Which is the claimed reason she was taking drugs to Bali, because the huge numbers of Aussies want to buy from another Aussie.

I think the problem is, when your in her position, innocent or not, your first instinct is to scream help and get as much media atention as you can.

In the short term you feel good about that, but then when the sentance is handed down . . .

I agree, she would have been better not to make a circus of the trial, work behind the scenes.

Interesting to compere it with the trial here of the cop who killed the Brit backpackers.

Many are saying if NOT for the UK Embassy labouring hard behind the scenes, it would have gone the other way.

DOG

Something that the australian press did not understand:

- Asians are very proud (s much as any country I think)

in this case: the foreign press has not to dictate what to do to a country, this is the diplomacy mission.

- Face: which in this case is a very specific problem due to the australian press depicting indonesia as a poor not developed country........

with the media coverage made mainly by australian press how could have the indonesian government "helped" reducing the sentence without loosing face?

by the end always travel with your luggages locked

Archived