Win a date with Schappelle's translator !

gobbledonk

Hi Carlton,

I'll try to be as unbiased as I can in summing up the objections that have been thrown up here in Oz, and my own take on it (did I say 'un'biased ? :: )

1. That she didnt get a 'fair' trial

- no forensic evidence was admitted

- the judges appeared disinterested in the baggage-handler claims

- the Indonesian system implicitly puts the burden of proof on the defense, not the prosecution.

2. That 20 years for dope is manifestly unjust

3. That no-one would be silly enough to try to smuggle drugs *into* a country which had the death penalty for even small quantities.

My take is this : whether she is guilty or innocent, she fucked up in the wrong country, and her family has compounded her problems by making emotional claims to a sensationalist media. We can moan and bitch all we like about the perceived inadequacies of the Indonesian justice system or the 'hellhole' conditions in Kerobokan - thats not helping. Indonesia isnt Australia, and who are we to point the finger at other countries for their harsh penal system and miscarriages of justice ? We lock up children, jail and deport Australian citizens and allow negligent doctors to flee the country at taxpayers expense - all this in a 'First World' country.

Someone mentioned Bashir, and his *2 year* sentence for his 'prior knowledge' of the Bali bombing and implicit blessing for same. Why the fuck didnt the Corby team engage the legal team which got Bashir such a light sentence ? Instead, they took on the first local team which came their way, having been given a list of English-speaking lawyers in Indonesia.

Corby is reputedly refusing visits from her family and legal team as I type this - perhaps she realises the fundamental errors that were made in the initial case. The Bashir verdict was undoubtedly influenced by Indonesian politics, but you need a legal team that can spot technical flaws in a case and capitalise on them - its about playing the system, not 'justice' in the sense that you and I understand it.

My advice to Schappelle is simple - stop your family talking to the media, hire Bashir's team and allow the Australian Government to quietly exert whatever (subtle) pressure they can on Jakarta. If you have to do a few years in Brisbane, then so be it - at least they'll feed you and give you a cell with a working toilet.

Cheers,

Artie

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good job Artie & Carlton. Looking at the evidence, I think she is guilty as there are too many unanswered questions or inplausable situations. Of course, she could be incredibly unlucky and all those things could have happened, but it stretches credulity.

Now back on topic. Eka is probably the hottest translator on the planet. *Almost* makes me want to go to the tourist trap that is Bali! Here is a poor pix of her for those who have no idea of to what we are referring:

0,1658,5011945,00.jpg

Cheers,

SD

suadum said:

Good job Artie & Carlton. Looking at the evidence, I think she is guilty as there are too many unanswered questions or inplausable situations. Of course, she could be incredibly unlucky and all those things could have happened, but it stretches credulity.

Now back on topic. Eka is probably the hottest translator on the planet. *Almost* makes me want to go to the tourist trap that is Bali! Here is a poor pix of her for those who have no idea of to what we are referring:

0,1658,5011945,00.jpg

Cheers,

SD

Hi

There has been another case...an OZ couple about five years ago.

Got to the hotel in Bali opend a bag...wow a brick of dope.

They rang our consulate they said get rid of it NOW.

So they did.

How did it get into the bag??

Corby?

TB,

You are missing the point, old son - it was never about the baggage handlers, corrupt Federal Police or anything outside the events of October 8, 2004 at Denpasar Airport. As far as the prosecution was concerned, the drugs were in a bag that she freely admitted belonged to her - how they got there was immaterial. We can wail and gnash our teeth, but its a stark warning for Australians and other Westerners - dont expect the legal system in another country to resemble your own.

I think the penny finally dropped when Corby's Australian lawyer admitted that he realised that he wasnt going to get his client acquitted unless he found someone who was prepared to say '*I* planted the drugs in Schappelle's bag' and take the rap. In Oz, I think this still leaves the charge of 'accessory' etc open to the prosecution, but at least she wouldnt have been the sole defendant.

Did she do it ? I dont know. Did her defense team prove that she *didnt* do it ? No, I dont believe that they did. If it had been a jury trial here in Oz, she may well have walked on the basis of her impassioned pleas and the 'reasonable doubt' her defence may have planted in the jury's collective mind - it wasnt, and she didnt. Her best hope now is to use whatever means are available to her under the system in Indonesia, not allow her family and supporters to engage in crap like a boycott on Bali.

No i get the point...was just saying it can happen...so she may be innocent..

The boycott has started btw....all agents were sent a survey...63% said they will not recommend Bali to clients...some had reported cancellations as well....

This can only hurt her cause i think...imo :dunno:

Torneyboy said:

No i get the point...was just saying it can happen...so she may be innocent..

As I said, it stretches credulity. I learned a long time ago a universal truth when investigating anything: "follow the money". Where is the money trail if someone plants drugs on someone else? It just is not there IHMO. YMMV.

As far as the penalty, well it is well known that drug penaties are harsh there (and Singapore and Malaysia too). But in certain places in the States, if you are convicted for possession (could be one joint or one rock of crack cocaine) or any other minor offense (shoplifting, etc) three times, it is mandatory life in prison with no parole -- known as the "three-strike" rule. Draconian as well, methinks.

Regards,

SD

TB said

'Hi

There has been another case...an OZ couple about five years ago.

Got to the hotel in Bali opend a bag...wow a brick of dope.

They rang our consulate they said get rid of it NOW.

So they did.

How did it get into the bag??

Corby?"

This makes me think that she could be innocent.

It has happened before.

It could happen to you.

Just as a matter of interest what would happen in Thailand if a hooker you brought back to your room had some drugs on her and the police raided the room and found the drugs.

You could suddenly become a victim.

Think about it.

Just as a matter of interest what would happen in Thailand if a hooker you brought back to your room had some drugs on her and the police raided the room and found the drugs.

I believe that several board members have found themselves in similar situations, not only in Thailand, and that its almost always a setup. Money changes hands, problem goes away.

Archived