Maiden name change?

Someone told me recently that it is now possible for a Thai woman to marry and still keep using her maiden name. Anyone know about this? I just wondered if it would be a way to get around some of the legal hassles of a Thai gal's being married to a foreigner, since her name would not so obviously show the fact.

I remember a few years ago when someone proposed that husbands should be allowed to adopt the wife's family name. That was quickly shot down in flames, but I thought that Parliament did alow women to keep on using their maiden name as sort of a compromise.

Be interesting to see what you find out. I'd think it likely, since the 1997 Constitution made things fairer by allowing both Thai women AND men to own property even if married to an evil foreign devil (aka Farang). Previously, only a wife lost her rights to land ownership.

p.s. In the late '80s, a woman MP proposed changing the law to allow a wife to divorce her husband for adultry. (As it stood and may still stand, only the husband divorce on such grounds!) Immediately some noted male MPs rose to their feet to denounce the woman as a homewrecker and vicious person. The press had a lot of fun with their names, since it more or less identified the worst male offenders.

Ok, I'm curious. What legal hassles result from wife changing her family name?

We only experienced problems before she changed her documents to reflect marriage. Once changed we have not had a problem.

Our mortgage was the most obvious. Bank was unwilling to lend money until all documents showed we were legally married, marriage cert, ID card, house book etc. Once that was done they couldn't cough up fast enough.

We also met the old favourite 'Can't own land if married to foreigner' on a couple of occasions. You just need to have whoever your dealing with call the head office in Sanam Luang (I think) and get them put right, worked every time.

Cheers,

M.

Archived