Whats better ? Direct or Indirect ?

chelseafan

I've always travelled in-direct and had a few 4-hour stopovers which are a pain in the backside, especially as I land in countries where I cant have a tipple.

Having said that, I've booked direct for the first time and am wondering how the 12 hour non-stop compares to changing. My main concern is not being able to have a ciggie.....

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Direct flights is far better in my opinion. Part of it though is that the direct flights from my departure lands early morning in BKK, which I prefer (less traffic and people). -- As for the nicotine, that's a pain in the ass surely but probably managable with chewing tobacco, nicotine gum and patches or similiar!?

I find that a nicotine patch, a sedative, and a few drinks help me to while away the hours by sleeping as much as possible. Flying from California, there's always going to be a 12 hour leg, but, in your case, the nonstop's gotta be better than enduring a 4 hour layover.

Not being a smoker I would'nt know about the craving problem or advise as to how to deal with it. I changed to direct flights some years back and I just would'nt do it anyother way irrespective of the cost.

Part of my pleasure is being on a Thai Airways flight, watching Thai Vision, hearing that theme tune(does anyone know where to get that on disc?) and drinking that first Singha :D

Once on the flight its easy enough to settle knowing that I don't have to get off and on the plane just when its I'm dropping off to sleep...

I can't put a price on time spent in LOS, I maximise it to the minute to the point I can leave my office at 5pm go direct to heathrow and be on the night flight heading to BKK. It almost feels like I commute to BKK.The return journey is simliar.

I have sometimes made trips over for just 5 days and time is of the essence but even for the longer trips the prospect of stopping over in Dubai,Amsterdam or anythwhere seems so meaningless and a waste of valuable time.

I get really pissed off if anyone or anything(London Underground) threaten my timing.One trip I had the threat of a stike going on so I took a sickie and stayed over in a hotel nr the aiprort just so that NOTHING would get in my way of being on that flight.

JP

direct for sure unless stopping over in brazil, cuba, indo, cambo or china for a night or 2 on the way is more viable ;)

time is money, but depending on your holiday scheme & hourly rates it really depends who you are & what kind of (semi) yearly or frequent visitor you are...

Id love to do the direct but Northwest has me by the balls with their generous mileage program. My flight is 14 and one half to Tokyo and 7 to Bangkok. (you guys in London are COMPLAINING???) Being an elite I get mucho leg space on my trips due to exit row preferential treatment. Can't put a price tag on that. However I am thinking of switching to the Thai direct because I arrive in the afternoon on the 2nd day and can leave on Friday to be there Sunday afternoon. Returning is the problem I can't make it to work on time right after the flight as I have another 2 hours to my home from JFK. I go for one week, weekend to weekend four or five times a year so I end up arriving on that Thai flight Monday morning. Doesn't work.

I know what one poster said about starting off on Thai with the music. China had that Christmas music on one of those new A340s out of JFK on Christmas eve. The vacation started immediately. Got a Chinese girls number sitting next to me too. On NW, the vacation starts in Tokyo and now they have failed me once again with American staff on the NRT to BKK. That may be the last straw. Now my vacation does not start until BKK and they trap me with ornery curmudgeons for almost 24 hours.

Oneye

Guest lazyphil

Direct!!!!....London-Lima.......Had to fly London Paris with BA..5 hours in CDG..Avianca to Bogota, 4 more hours in lounge but gorgeous women abound, unscheduled stop for whatever reason in Cali, 1 hour, onto Quito, 4 more hours on the tarmac...then Lima.....anywhere I go now its direct!!!!

Under normal circumstances my total support would be for direct, direct and direct, in that order.

However, next month I need to travel from Oz to Europe for work (Business class as Company paying)

Using every ounce of long forgotten Sales / Marketing textbook studies, I have managed to convince all concerned that flying 24 hours each way is not a good idea and that I should have a stop-over BOTH ways in Bangkok.

Bingo....end result...3 nights on the way over and 2 on the way back.....hehehe, life really is a bitch !!!!!

So, I guess that sometimes one has to be "flexible" in their approach to these matters........especially if there is an added bonus like 5 nights in LOS !!!!!

Chock dee Dumsoda :grinyes: :grinyes: :yay: :yay: :beer: :: ::

like you i am a smoker and the 12 Hour is a killer.

but direct is better in my opinion and worth the suffering.

by all means have a few Beers to help you relax and finally sleep,,,,,,,,but beware.

read my trip report of my last visit and learn about the scare i had at Heathrow............

Archived