WiFi in my bahn

Coss

Well, so enamoured of WiFi am I, that I went out and bought an "Airport Extreme" from Apple.

This nifty little device will let you plug in a USB printer, Lan/ADSL and your stereo/powered speakers.

Enabling you to: print wirelessly : Access the Lan and Internet wirelessly : and play iTunes music wirelessly to your stereo/powered speakers.

Really easy to set up, worked 1st time.

Wunderbar!

Except that the range of the wireless is not as good as you'd expect.

So I got me a 3com 11g wireless access point. Now apart from 2 hours of setting up this thing (only windows and browser interface) with none of that Mac friendly-ness, it's now working well and I've got two WiFi networks.

But wait, I can configure the Apple one as a remote for the other one, yee hah! Got two networks that are joined at the hip and can print and serve music from all over the place now, even the neighbours! I checked, good strength from the neighbours, so on goes the encryption.

I can sit down at the bottom of the garden in the freezing cold now and surf the net to my heart's content. Dreaming of the day I can move the lot to LOS.

Cheers

Coss

nd: Can't imagine that someone is not offering ADSL in your neck of the woods. Very easy to putup a wireless access point. Mine costs me less than 1k a month.

I've got it in my house, but the wifi isn't good enough for online gaming as it will cut me off every once in awhile so I've got one lan cable going to the second floor.

Coss: It is a nice feeling when you've finally got everything working isn't it? :)

<<burp>>

Yes it is good when it finally works, but in this day and age you'd think that configuring these things would be a matter of plugging them in and then:

one of them says "Hi, I'm a WiFi device"

and the other one says "So am I"

and they both say "OK then"

and one of them says "Coss, give us a password for the encryption would ya?"

and then it's finished.

Cheers

Coss

Archived