sauce used for 'khao man gai'

buddha

Khao man gai....

basically the 20 baht standby that kept me going for my first couple of months...

a scoop of steamed with rice, some chicken, and an herb filled sauce, some cukes on the side...

What is in the sauce?

Thanks...I'm eating sticky rice that i made right now....better with a bargirl

I think I just found the recipe in "Thailand the Beautiful Cookbook." Boy was I way off on this!

¢éÒÇÃѹä¡è=Khao Man Gai

Sauce is:

1/4 cup (60 ml) Yellow bean sauce

1/4 cup lime juice

1/4 cup garlic, minced

1/4 cup minced ginger

5 green Thai chilli peppers, chopped

1/4 cup light soy sauce

1/4 cup sugar

other stuff

6 cups (1.5 liters) water

1 chicken about 1.5 kg

1 teaspoon salt

3 cups (700grams) Jasmine rice

8 garlic cloves

1/2 teaspoon white pepper

1/4 cup slivered ginger 1 teaspoon salt.

Heat water to boil in a large steamer, rub chicken with salt and steam for about 45 minutes or until done. Reserve the liquid, remove the chicken, slice the meat, set aside. Rinse the rice, and drain. Measure 4 cups (1 Liter) of the chicken stock and add to the rice in a meadium sauce pan. heat to a boil for 2 minutes, and add the garlic, white pepper, ginger and salt and stir into the rice. cover and simmer for 10 minutes. add more chicken stock if needed to compleate cooking of rice. stir the rice after it is cooked.

Combine all the sauce ingredients, arrange the chicken on a dish with the rice on the side.garnish with cucumber and cilantro. Serve the sauce as a dip in a separate dish.

This is their version, play with it to your tastes, hope that helps...if this isn't the dish, try it anyway...sounds good, I might make it tonight...

I don't see how you can steam a chicken, in a stove top steamer, in only 45 minutes, I put a themometer in a steamer and it only got up to 140 degrees F. I set my oven for 325 and it takes about 3 hours to roast a small chicken. I like it with no blood.

In the old days my Grandma boiled chickens. She didn't have an oven, in the Bronx, 1950s.

They have a sweet or hot version of Khao Mon gai sauce in small bottles, not bad if you want to save time.

Yeah, I think 45 to steam a whole chicken is a bit slow, I can see if maybe it was cut up into pieces already...of course steam supposedly cooks faster than boiling...I saw something cool in a Chinese store here, also in LOS...basically a steamer just for chickens!, also a "double boiler" type contraption, the chicken is placed in a conatiner with water, this container+ Chicken then sits inside another pot, which is filled with water...so the outside water boils, transfers the heat to the water+ Chicken inside, and supposedly you get a really tender chicken and a really clear broth.

Bronx 1950's you say? Boiled chickens? hmmm...what did she cook with them? Borscht? Ministrone? we need to get a recipe book together! :)

shygye said:

Steam has a more penetrating heat and thus cooks faster than hot air. Remember steam releases 400 cal/g going from a gas to a liquid. :idea:

Yep, me know this. same 1 calorie raise one gram h2o 1 degree celcius. have many thermal unit put flame hot, make steam cook the chicken aroi mak!

Old hippie guy where you learn cook the Thai food also write a Thai? hey you o.k. my nangsue! o.k. you come my bar make somtom for lady.

Archived