Gyms/Pools/Running

Hi all,

Does anyone have any info on decent freeweight gyms in BKK that allow casual visitors/users?

Also, does BKK have public swimming pools?

Lastly, from what I've heard walking around BKK street sounds hazardous(!), so how crazy is running/jogging? Is it common enough to see runners out in the morning?

Cheers!

There's a big gym on Silom across from Patpong but they're expensive and I don't know if they allow walk-ins. Many hotels have small gym / fitness centers. Check President Park Hotels for a couple that do.

As an ex-runner, I don't think I'd be too interested in running around on the streets here. You might try out at Lumpini Park. The streets tend to be poorly maintained. Many tight sections where you'd have to contend with traffic, both moving and parked.

I believe the fitness center you are referring to is called California fitness, it is part of the 24hour fitness chain in the usa. If you have a US or other membership, you can use the club cost free. I believe they do allow walk ins, but for a very high fee. Daily use fee in the USA is something like 15-20usd. It is a very nice club, with a killer view from the top floor/cardio area. If possible, join somewhere else, and use your memeber ship there, They have branches all over the world. I always go while in BKK and so far no problems!

yea, the place I'm thinking of is definitely a 24hour fitness club affiliate. I think there is also a golds gym affiliate somewhere over there as well. In the USA, 24hour fitness bought up a lot of Golds gyms, so maybe BKK was once one? As for running, I think Lumpini park has a running trail, been a long time since I've been over there, any idea? Also, I think one of the Universitys has a running track, not sure if you can use it though. Don't know if it is true, but I was told running in a public street is illeagle in certain parts.

Cheers guys!

It seems like I might be better off staying at a hotel with a decent gym and pool, although a run through Lumpini Park sounds ideal!

I'll play it by ear when I get out there...

Hi Rocco

it's not so despaired,Silom City Fitness very near from the California is much more easy going.And the equipment is OK with a lot of free weights.220 the session.It's just across from Lumpini Park,by the Dusit thani Hotel

U can train too in lumpini park for 20bhts a session and nobody will even ask u for that but it's a bit of a rough ride.

quote:

Originally posted by rocco:

[QB]Hi all,

Does anyone have any info on decent freeweight gyms in BKK that allow casual visitors/users?

Also, does BKK have public swimming pools?

Lastly, from what I've heard walking around BKK street sounds hazardous(!), so how crazy is running/jogging? Is it common enough to see runners out in the morning?

[QB]

Rocco

I recommended to someone on another list that he have a look at the Ambassador. This was part of a report he posted:

"Best I found was at the Ambassador Hotel... the exercise equipment is not the best.. Universal, not Nautilus, but there are free weights too. Tread mills, etc...

A small racket ball court.. a huge pool and one thing that I really like, a good steam room..

Also the location is really very good for most asfo types...

Pricing is B8,500 for a year.. but then they have coupons.. 30 are B4,500 and 60 are B7,200 which is what I got ..

Single use is available for B300 (pricy) but you can get five (5) for B1,000 and I didn't ask about 10-20, but the gal at the desk will negotiate a bit as the place is not very crowded...

The pool is really big and a very nice place to be.. I know that most of you only excercise your drinking arm and your dick, but for those that like a bit more variety this seems like a pretty good deal .."

Just a few additional notes. The pool is outside and has a sundeck and ..... they have an outdoor running track, around a tennis court. It's not very big and it would get pretty boring I would imagine, but ....

There is also a running track around the football pitch at NIST down the end of Soi 15 which you could probably get in to use if you swapped some ID for a Visitor's pass. Quiet, alongside the klong, 400 metres or so.

LG

quote:

Originally posted by rocco:

Hi all,

Cheers!

Rocco, I highly recommend that you leave the jogging shoes at home. Not only are the sidewalks poorly maintained and in certain areas rather tight, the pollution from the buses and motorcycles will kill you. Don't even ponder the thought if running at the side of the street - you'll become a handle bar ornament for the motorcycle taxis. Also, remember that Thais do not like to walk. Seeing you running down the street with your nylon shorts and Sony walkman just makes them shake their heads and say to themselves "Crazy Farang." I spent two weeks up at Thamasatt University in Rangsit and people actaully stopped their motor scooters trying to figure out where these crazy Americans were running and why we would be doing such an univiting sweat-endusing activity. The exception to all of what I've said is Lumpini Park; there joggers will feel at home.

Archived