Police raid pubs in city drug search

Old Hippie

BANGKOK: -- Metropolitan police raided 34 pubs and bars in Bangkok on Friday night, carrying out drug tests and checking for underage drinkers.

Some 1,000 officers were involved in the operation, part of the Metropolitan Police Bureau's social-order campaign.

Police said the operation was aimed curbing underage drinking.

Several people, mostly staff, tested positive for drugs following a raid on the Krung Thong Complex in Thon Buri, police said.

Police Maj-General Viroj Jantharangsri, deputy chief of the Metropolitan Police Bureau, said he was interrogating the venue's owner and would suspend the complex's licence if he found the owner was involved in any illegal activity.

At the Night Speed pub on Kanchanapisek-Bangkae Road, police drug tested staff and patrons for more than two hours but none of the tests came back positive.

Underage drinkers and parents who take their children to venues that serve alcohol face arrest and a fine, police said.

Pub owners who serve underage drinkers face three months in jail and/or a maximum fine of Bt30,000.

--The Nation 2005-06-19

No idea...supposedly, you could be kicked out of the country, barred reentry...jail...who knows, a good opportunity to make money though...kow jai mai? I wonder what would happen if you were on pain meds, and tested positive for opiates...or whatever...? scarey thoughts...

Old Hippie said:

No idea...supposedly, you could be kicked out of the country, barred reentry...jail...who knows, a good opportunity to make money though...kow jai mai? I wonder what would happen if you were on pain meds, and tested positive for opiates...or whatever...? scarey thoughts...

Or Viaga. Lets hope these drug tests never progress to anything more than a bastardized urine test.

SSD.

While I think the chances of getting caught up in a raid are still minimal, I would hate for it to happen to me. The only concern that I would have is that I typically take a few vicoden for a bad back (especially during the long flight to anf from LOS).

I wonder is they are classified as a "controlled substance"?

Archived