Dentists - 2nd opinion

Probably goes without saying but.....

If you go to a dentists that is wanting to give you work then go and get a second opinion.

I am back in Bkk for a couple of days and have had one tooth that has been a bit iffy. I went to Koh San to sort out some travel plans and saw a dentists there which prompted my memory. I got a check up there and then.

Result: need 3 fillings, a seal (?) and a clean to erradicate a minor gum infection that was causing the problem I felt.

Got a free check up at a dentists in Siam Square to confirm, without mentioning the previous diagnosis.

Result: all fine, floss more. Even after directing to the "cavities" and having x-rays no probs were found.

In the end it is like garages, never believe what they are telling you.

Result: I am going with the second (and vastly cheaper) all clear result...and hope that the occasionally iffy tooth sorts itself out.

• 2 months later...

Suppose is bang on.

Anyone who read my 'wisdom teeth...' thread below may be interested in the following:

Went to Samitivej asking whether I had wisdoms coming through or what, and was told the gum on the lower back tooth had 'grown over' the tooth and that extraction of the one above was the best answer as it was now biting into the lower gum. I could see that was actually correct in the mirror. I was told to make a further apppointment to take out the top back tooth and if that didn't work to go back again to take out the bottom one.

Paid B600 for the 'diagnosis' (read on) and B600 for anti-swelling antibiotics and painkillers etc (I thought UK was expensive for medicine until I got here)

Sitting at home with the pooying the night before the op we agreed something wasn't right so I put back the Samitivej appointment for a couple of days and tried the woman under the Landmark Hotel, Ladda Clinic.

She takes a look and instantly diagnoses an abcess had caused the gum to swell up into the path of the top and bottom teeth. Oh, seem to have missed that Samitivej! Approximately 30 seconds later she has pushed some needle like hook down the side of the gum next to the teeth and reveals the cause:

A ****ing big piece of that shiny thin popcorn husk had sliced its way down the side of the gum and embedded itself which had caused an infection!

She removes this, cleans up the abcess resulting in a degree of instant relief and checks the rest of the teeth.

She offers a general polish and check up which I accept and sends me on my way with a special mouthwash to ensure the abcess didn't re-infect, all for B600!

It is improving by the second.

GET A SECOND OPINION!

[ February 20, 2002: Message edited by: Bembaman ]

[ February 20, 2002: Message edited by: Bembaman ]

Archived