how to say "NO" to the girls?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

prungnee

---------------------

yep, here the thai way is the best, you do not say yes, while not saying no either. "love it!

Some girls start recognize you, as most likely they have seen you 2 or 3 times every night, straddling along Suk.

It can become an inside joke between her and you, just sounds a lot better than avoiding eye contact, be the eternal outsider who rants about being accosted, and the congenialiy one gets from chatting her up as she jokes about your samesame amswer, becomes one of these little feel good things you needed so much, leaving farangland.

I'd think a streetworker in the west would as soon tell you to get off her sidewalk once and for good, if all you have to say again is "tomorrow".

I find being honest goes a long way. I'll tell a girl that I like them, think they are jai dee and will buy them a drink, but I don't want to "go" with them. They'll sit and talk and give me the low down on other girls.

Others I say I can't go with them now, but I might be able to come back later. And I'll get phone numbers.

I try to never forget I'm just a customer and a customer is "always" right :)

<<burp>>

jigger said:

While we on the topic of how to turn a girl down in Thai, I've often wondered about a way to say, "maybe later" or "not now, thanks" to the "you pay bar?" question...

Phom yang mai mii arom krap = I'm not in the mood yet! (I find that keeps them asking every now and then if you are in the mood yet but not too often.)

Prung nii dii gwaa krap = Tomorrow's better. (Again, keeps options open but gives a longer re-asking interval.)

Chuhy chuhy = Take it easy, slowly, slowly.

Aatja wanlang = "Maybe later" literally.

Khortort, torn nii mai dai.. = "Sorry, I can't now.."

There are about a million ways to say 'No'. I find that inventing new ones is one of the most fun things to do in LOS (when in contemplative "apres-shag" mode, of course. ::)

There is a smile that says no, no words spoken, i have found it 100% reliable for the last 17 years. I got pretty sopihisticated at it too, when it's a katoey, usually more aggressive because they're boys too, my smile can mean "even less no!" or simply "kateoy!".

Not bragging, when you've been hanging after dark long enough on beach Rd, it's all second nature. ::

good Thai lesson!

A bit of a tangent here, but I beg to differ. The problem is some people painstakingly try to carry the origin of each thai character using a jumble of english characters. That's why you sometimes see Ubon spelled Ubol for instance or Sawasdee instead of Sawatdee. This comes at the expense of making a word not look like it sounds. For newbies this is just wrong as they could care less what thai characters they are from and they have no chance of pronouncing all the vowels and tones. Newbies will have a far greater chance of communicating successfully by being shown English words that sound as closely to the Thai words as possible. Take bibbles post for example. Anytime you see the word "mii" just replace it with the english word "me". When you see "mai" replace with the english word "my". And before you start pronouncing "crap" when you see "krap" the word most closely sounds like "cup" or "krupp" if you want to get fancy. A few others, use dye for dai, dee for dii, and so on and so forth.

Archived