Terrorist attacks in London

Guest baldrick

<< Palestinians lost their homeland in 1948 due to actions of the colonial powers that were in control of the area at that time. >>

The WWII victors were quite good at rearranging international borders and expelling people by the tens of millions from lands which they had inhabited for many centuries -- in Eastern Europe, India-Pakistan and Palestine/Israel. I wonder how historians of the future are going to judge their actions.

• Replies 786
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nervous_Dog said:

<<The Palestinians are generic Arabs, they could live anywhere in the Middle East (or the world).>>

And as a white person your generic european, and hence as a Aussie I can go live in Poland/France/Finland if I wat too?

I don;t think so!

DOG

I'm not suggesting the Palestinians should be automatically entitled to live wherever they want, but that there are no significant cultural or religious differences that would make it difficult for them to adapt to life to any country in the Arab world. If the Arab countries had opened their doors to the Palestinians in 1949-1952, there wouldn't be a problem with Palestinian refugees. It is absurd that Palestinian refugee camps have existed for over 50 years. Millions upon millions of people all over the world were displaced and resettled in the wake of WWII.

In fact, generic Europeans have had no huge problems adapting to new countries for centuries, whether in Europe or much farther afield. If there were a compelling reason and the governments of Poland, France or Finland allowed you to stay, I'm sure you could adapt to any of those countries.

Flashermac said:

<< Palestinians lost their homeland in 1948 due to actions of the colonial powers that were in control of the area at that time. >>

The WWII victors were quite good at rearranging international borders and expelling people by the tens of millions from lands which they had inhabited for many centuries -- in Eastern Europe, India-Pakistan and Palestine/Israel. I wonder how historians of the future are going to judge their actions.

A lot of the re-arranging got done even before WW1. Of course the real question here is how much blame/credit should colonial powers get. Britain was a Roman colony for a while. The US was a loose collection of colonies at one time too. It all seemed natural when it was going on. It's the attitude towards colonialism that has changed. :)

sourkraut said:
chuckwoww said:

It's the attitude towards colonialism that has changed. :)

Today instead we "open markets in emerging economies" and "bring freedom and democracy"... ::

Well we're still 'bringing light to the savages'. But it's all done for humanitarian reasons these days. :)

Back on the subject then.......

London bombers staged 'dummy run'

Watch CCTV footage

The suicide bombers who attacked London on 7 July staged a practice run nine days before the bombings, police say.

Detectives studied tens of thousands of hours of CCTV footage as part of their investigation into the attacks which killed 52 people and the bombers.

Scotland Yard said the practice shows "terrorist methodology".

CCTV images show three of the bombers entering Luton station, before travelling to King's Cross station where they are also pictured.

Police traced the movements after recovering tickets and receipts from houses connected to the bombers which pointed to their trip.

Deputy Assistant Commissioner Peter Clarke, head of Scotland Yard's Anti-Terrorist Branch, said: "The implication is that they were possibly conducting reconnaissance on that day.

Sidique Khan and Tanweer meet Lindsay at Luton station around 0810 BST

The trio buy tickets and catch a train to King's Cross

The men arrive at King's Cross at 0855 BST and are also seen at Baker Street at midday

The bombers leave King's Cross at 1250 BST and arrive back in Luton at 1340 BST

"We know that is part of a terrorist's methodology: to check timings, layout and security precautions."

He said "the investigation is incredibly intense and will carry on for many months to come", pointing out that over 3,000 witness statements had been gathered, while around 80,000 CCTV tapes had been analysed.

"We are trying to reconstruct their movements as far as we can on that day," Mr Clarke said, adding that anyone with information should call the anti-terrorist hotline.

Police have revealed that two bombs were found in a car left by the attackers at Luton train station on 7 July.

It has also emerged that a landfill site in Skelton Grange, west Yorkshire, is currently being searched in a bid to uncover more clues.

The area being search is understood to be equivalent to the size of 18 Olympic swimming pools.

Al-Zawahri claimed al-Qaeda was responsible for the attacks

Detectives believe the site could be connected to the apparent "bomb factory" at a flat in Alexander Grove in Leeds.

Meanwhile, Al-Qaeda has said for the first time the group carried out the attacks.

In a videotaped message aired on Arab television station al-Jazeera, al-Qaeda deputy leader Ayman al-Zawahri said the group had the "honour" of carrying out the attacks.

The 7 July bomb attacks killed 56 people - including the four bombers - and injured more than 700.

Three bombs were detonated on underground trains just outside Liverpool Street and Edgware Road stations, and on another travelling between King's Cross and Russell Square.

The fourth explosion took place on a double-decker bus in Tavistock Square, not far from King's Cross.

Evidence of a reconnaissance mission supports the theory that all four had planned to detonate their rucksack bombs on the Underground system.

Bomb families fund

It is believed that the bus bomber, Hasib Hussain, was prevented from getting onto the Northern Line on the day of the attacks because the service had been disrupted.

The other bombers - Shehzad Tanweer, Germaine Lindsay and Mohammad Sidique Khan - detonated their devices almost simultaneously.

In a related development, relatives of those killed in the attacks are set to receive payments of at least £10,000 through a special fund.

And survivors left seriously injured could receive up to £15,000, while those unable to work for more than four weeks are to be offered up to £3,000.

The money will come from the London Bombings Relief Charitable Fund, which has raised almost £9m from the public

Link here

BB

• 2 weeks later...

Tonight is the beginning of Ramadam, or last night for some. Or it may depend on wether they see the moon,whatever... I'm confused.

But I'm quite sure my new agent here told me "We can't eat on day time, can't smoke, can't listen to music, can't watch TV, except for the news

" I almost burst out laughing !?! Really the prophet was ahead of his time and planned the rules for the next millenium with extreme savvy.

Random, Colombo, October 2005, food is great out here, if nothing else.

Archived