wifi

barflyrex

Gday guys.

I have looked through all the the threads for a anwser to my problem and found nothing.

So maybe its a really dumb question, so here goes.

I just brought a new laptop (my first) to use in thailand, if I go to say Mistys ago go were theres a hotspot, and then turn on the laptop, what happens? is the laptop configured to just connect to the net? Do I have to do anything?

thanks for any help. Rex

ps I know a lot about beer and bar girls, but computers ::

Don't know much about PC laptops but here's what my Mac laptop does. I turn on the WiFi (aka airport) and it says "do you want to join this xxxxx network?" I click OK and it asks me for the password, which I get from the dekserve.

And then it works.

Cheers

Coss

PC laptops do the same ,

they search for networks and give you a list of open and closed networks and the signal strength,

its actually pretty cool , I have taken mine in my car ,been 100s of miles from home and logged in,

sometimes it takes a few minutes to find an open network, but in California I have always been able to find open networks , best is near an apartment building ,

Probably will not take it to LOS , too much to carry with chargers etc

OCgringo,

not sure about the laws in california. In Florida they arrested a guy a few days back for logging into an unsecured Wireless Lan. He used the laptop and drove around until he found an open network.

Guy is out on bail now but his laptop is still confiscated.

Barflyrex, Under the "Start" button, bottom left of the screen useually, click on that,

Up comes a window with various choices,

Look for "Connect To", useually on the left side middle.

Click on that, up ill come a new window that will stay open.

Or if it doesn;t, either way, look for

"Wireless Connections"

Hit that.

If you dont get on automatically, you may need to open the "Conect To" box, and right click the "Wireless networks"

Go to "View Wireless Networks"

That will show you which networks are available, then chose, and see if you can get on.

Useually where there is a wi-fi spot, (But not always) will be someone to help you

Good luck surfing

DOG

Archived