Cent Needs Some Help From the Members

Fellow members,

I'm looking for some stats on farang/Thai marriages, basically how many occur each year, from what countries are the men, how many each year for the past 5 years or more. I've found some info on the net, but have yet to find a site or sites that have the numbers and stats I need for a paper I am doing for a class I am in. I would appreciate anyone who runs across or already knows a web-site, newsgroup, etc., with this info placing the URL here for me to follow up and read to see if it meets my needs. Thanks in advance guys. I know someone here will have the info I need to get what I want for this. Beers on me, or whatever, to the one/s forwarding this info to me. If not placed here you can also just put it in a PM to me. Thanks all.

Cent

Cent,

I know that the US Embassy keeps some records. Think it is of marriages registered.

If they are not available with a phone call I am sure someone here could help as there are some Embassy people who read Nanaplaza.

I think that most embassies have a yearly list of marriages so that might be a place to start.

Googled and got this:

I ran across this article in the Korea Herald this morning. Interesting but not really surprising how the number of foreign brides is increasing every year.

In 2003, the number of Korean men marrying foreigners totaled more than 19,000, a huge jump from only about 600 in 1990, according to the National Statistical Office. The number of Korean women marrying foreigners has increased, too, but at a much slower pace - to about 6,400 in 2003 from about 4,100 in 1990.

Now, however, more and more men are opting for brides from Southeast Asian countries. Among the foreign brides, those from China still top the list, numbering about 13,400 in 2003, according to the National Statistical Office. But Vietnamese brides were next, at 1,400, followed by Japanese at 1,240, Filipinas at 940, and Thais at 350.

http://lostnomad.blogs.com/the_lost_nomad/2004/10/more_bachelors_.html

Hi Cent,

These stats would obviously have to come from the Thai government.

U.S immigration could probably give you some stats on US applications, and subsequent success rate (and are why so hesitant to approve), but I doubt they keep records for any other countries. And that would far from paint, a true picture for you, as the number of Thai/American applications, are a small percentage of the total worldwide.

Thai/European, and Thai/Australian are far more common, I would think. I seriously doubt the US State Dept. could shed much light on the overall situation for you. I would think there is only one resource for you......and that can only lay within the Thai Bureaucracy.

But would be fun to speculate. :devil:

I would venture 1 in 5 Thai/farang marriages make it past the 2 years mark, overall. I'm just shooting off the hip, with nothing whatsoever to base that on, other than being somewhat close to the scene/experience, for a number of years now.

I'm just taking a shot in the dark there. But I'm sure any individual country could give you some very specific stats on the succuss rate for them. You just have to crunch the numbers, after surveying them all.

Let us know the results, can you? :)

But keep in mind, that you have to average in the percentages. 5,000 Thai girls married worlwide (I have no idea)....Only 300 hundred were married in U.S., with a 23% rate? (Again...no idea). I'm sure you know that you must take that 23% success rate, and apply it toward the percentage that U.S. marriages represent. UK Thai/farang marriages might represent 60% of all, and have a 50% succuss rate. ??? So US State Dept. figures will give you very little info., on the total worlwide situation. But I know you know that already. :)

HT

The American Citizen Services section may have something on this rather than the Visa unit. However, whenever you are looking for something like this from the Embassy, you will probably be directed to the Public Affairs/Public Diplomacy section who will ask you plenty of questions before releasing anything or setting you up with the correct office.

As mentioned, going to every Embassy in town would be very tedious and it is likely most would just turn you away.

Actually, when you look at American Cit marriages to Thais, it is a rather small number compared to other countries. European and other Asian countries being far ahead of the US I believe.

Anyway, sorry, Cent, not much help, but I don't know of any central location for this information. Maybe the old INS would keep demographic stats for the visas issued and you would need to contact them in DC. I'm pretty sure State would not keep this. Again, only a small piece of the puzzle if that works.

Good luck on this.

Archived