Cures for the Bangkok Blues

Hello all! Sorry I haven't been on the board for a few months. Have missed some of you guys (not that there's anything wrong with that)! I've always appreciated the back and forth and the compliments that came from people.

A year ago I came back from LOS with a bad case of the Bangkok Blues. I couldn't wait to get back there; missed the scene, etc. So much has been written and discussed from and about guys who suffer terribly from the Blues and I felt that I was right there. In my view, its an obsessive disorder that destroys families, work habits, etc. It really is a psychological burden and has ruined lives. (Anybody remember that "former I.T. professional" who left his job and moved to BKK with no prospects?)

Anyway, I came back this last time after an even better trip and was certainly down for a while trying to get back to the real world, but have since gotten the worst of it out of my system, or so I think.

While I still want to get back there - no question - I don't feel psychologically trapped this time or burdened with thoughts of bars, bargirls and boom-boom. In all honesty, I miss some of the friends I made the last couple of times I went.

I'm not sure how it happened, but some things that occured were: One - my changed perspective about the girls there (I think of them as largely fantasy, not reality - after all, making it work with a bargirl from half way is a long shot, at best). Two -I became very involved in some personal activities outside of work - a charity event I'm doing, I picked guitar back up after many years, and generally tore my thoughts away from the nightlife scene. Three - Even my lack of posting on the boards has either helped me lose the blues, or is a function of the Blues being, if not cured, let's say in remission.

Four - Yes, I also spent time with a therapist. A guy I've known for many years was very helpful in talking about why I liked Thailand so much. (There isn't enough room here for me to discuss it all!) Five - Lastly, I got a little more serious with a Japanese girlfriend here who rocks my world when we get the chance to see each other. That's not going to work longterm, but for now its great.

Anyway, I would like to hear from/correspond with both 1)guys who have the Blues as well as 2) guys who feel "they've kicked the habit". Perhaps we can learn from the tactics some of us have used to deal with their feelings and help each other keep Thailand and its pleasures in perspective. What say you all? Important or too depressing?

Cheers. Chicago Dave smelly_falong@hotmail.com

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Steve - Respectfully, that is not so. It is a popular saying and belief, but I know people, including myself, who can claim otherwise. The keys, I think, are 1) keeping perspective on what is important in life and 2) having other things in your "real" life that take precedence over sleeping with prostitutes, regardless of how young, cute, accommodating and affordable they may be. My view, anyway.

Anybody out there suffering a bad case of the blues? Chicago Dave

[ August 10, 2001: Message edited by: chicago dave ]

chicago dave,

I must agree with chocolate steve. I have never been to Thailand (Sept in BKK), and I have the Bangkok Blues (Thai Flu). I don't want pre opp only post opp help. As far as a cure goes, I only hope its temporary. I'm sure if this illness doen't clear up, there is only one place to go for the cure.

LeoTex smile.gif" border="0

Hi Dave,

Welcome back on the board, I missed your thoughtful postings! I am not so much suffering from BKK Blues ( I am back in the Netherlands for 2 months now - after having spent approximately 10 months in Thailand), I would rather call it nostalgia - I had a great time - but I know I can not live there full time, because it would ruin me in the end. I will come back to Thailand, but less so to indulge in copious amounts of sex - just enjoy the scene, the country and the company of some friends.

Cheers,

SOONGMAK

P.s.: besides having a meaningful life, I guess a nasty cocktail of STD's could be the cure for BKK Blues (I know, because I had more than my fair share)

frown.gif" border="0

C. Dave,

We don't care how long it is, but i think we all have a personal interest in hearing about your sessions on the coach. Please, expand....

One thing i really enjoy is the feeling of anticipation i get when "going" time arrives. Usually starts happening 3 months before departure. It is extremely pleasurable and i always fear that if i moved there, all these mixed emotions (Blues, going soon, thinking about the last trip) would be replaced by a more blase attitude. I just make the best out of having to be back home, and sometimes it is just as sublime to remember than to be there. Well, as long as you go back, of course. The only year i stayed out, i had a steady g/f in the USA. So, i think we all get stuck in a kind of LOS warp and tend to deny there is life outside of it. I enjoy working and being in SF, seeing friends, but i must say i don't take advantage anymore of all this city has to offer. Does Thailand really deserves such undying and exclusive love/infatuation? what do you think, buddies?

[ August 10, 2001: Message edited by: pattaya127 ]

It's just like an addiction to drugs; it's a true addiction.

The come down: For me this usually lasts about a week or two. This part I believe is the blues.

In between: this period starts once the come down is over and before the next trip is within reach. This part is back to reality time and start planning the next trip.

The anticipation: This usually starts from the 90 day count down (which for me begins tomorrow) smile.gif" border="0

Each time I go it gets a little bit easier to deal with.

[ August 10, 2001: Message edited by: Spudsmck ]

Archived