Beheadings Raise Tensions in Thailand

Old Hippie

Beheadings Raise Tensions in Thailand

Thai soldiers stand guard at rural train station near Pattani, Thailand, on April 15, 2004. Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra on Saturday, July 16, 2005 defended his government's issuing a decree giving him special emergency powers to combat a violent insurgency in Thailand's Muslim dominated south. DAVID LONGSTREATHJuly 17, 2005 2:13 AM EDT

TALOH KAPO, Thailand - Customers no longer come to Kaboh Sulong's teashop - not since two gunmen walked in at noon, coldly shot a Buddhist cloth vendor, cut off his head and left it in a sack outside.

Ten days later Sulong was still terrified as he pointed to a wooden table where Lek Pongpla was relaxing when the attackers killed him. And all around him, Buddhists were packing and fleeing the worsening violence in Thailand's Muslim-majority south.

Beheadings and bombings are pushing tensions to a boiling point since a long-simmering Muslim separatist movement launched an armed struggle early last year that has left more than 860 people dead.

On Friday the government issued a decree giving Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra sweeping emergency powers - to tap phones, order curfews and censor the press, among other measures. That was after six bombs and exchanges of gunfire in the capital of Yala province killed two policemen and injured 22 people in the first coordinated attacks in a large city since the troubles began.

On Thursday, at least 60 insurgents plunged Yala city into darkness by destroying electrical transformers, then roamed the streets with fire-bombs, explosives and guns, targeting an area near a hotel, two convenience stores, a restaurant and the railway station, Interior Minister Chitchai Wannasathit said.

"Whenever or wherever a society or community is not safe, freedoms and personal rights ... must face some limitations in order to have all people living together in peace," Thaksin said Saturday in response to critics of the emergency powers.

The attack and the government response were just the latest indications of the worsening tensions.

Fear has engulfed the southern provinces, with Buddhist monks slashed to death and temples bombed. Vendors have received flyers threatening them for selling pork in Muslim areas.

"I am very scared and don't want to go anywhere, especially at night. Women are now being attacked," said Piyathida Thongchuay, 34, a Buddhist living in the district where Lek was killed. A few days earlier a school headmistress and two other Buddhist women had been murdered - the latter two beheaded.

Piyathida said her mother and 3-year-old son were leaving, and she would follow when her policeman husband's transfer comes through.

Buddhists are the overwhelming majority in Thailand but in the southernmost provinces they are outnumbered nearly 3-1 by 1.3 million Muslims. The region, once a separate Islamic kingdom, became part of Thailand in the early 20th century. But a deep desire for independence persists, as do Muslim feelings of discrimination.

Several Islamic leaders have condemned the violence. "Such acts are very cruel and beyond the imagination of any human being," said one, Nidir Waba.

The region's deputy police chief, Maj. Gen. Thani Thawitsri, believes those perpetrating beheadings are inspired by insurgencies abroad. They "have many menus to choose from, such as, Afghanistan, Iran and Iraq," he said

The government has tried improving life in the south with development and job-creation projects, but it has also taken a tough approach to the militants. Last year 106 Muslims were killed in a single day when militants mounted an attack on security posts. Six months later 78 Muslims who had been rounded up following a protest rally suffocated to death when they were crammed into a police truck.

The Thaksin government's approach has been criticized as heavy-handed, but Thaksin seems in no mood to negotiate, saying Friday: "These people only want violence; it means they do not want to talk."

Since October, authorities have trained and armed about 10,000 Buddhists, raising fears that an "eye-for-an-eye" mentality will take root.

"I feel vengeful because they killed my husband. I want to protect myself, because there is no one who can protect me now," said 51-year-old Sa-ngeam Boontho. Unknown assailants killed her husband, a policeman, in September.

Sa-ngeam and about 40 other villagers - some who had never touched a weapon and were afraid to do so - were being taught how to aim rifles.

"We have no intention of harming anyone," Gen. Napol Boonthap told the trainees on the grounds of a Buddhist temple in Pattani province. "But we will not let anyone behead us."

Copyright 2005 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If they are outnumbered 3to 1 would it not just be easier to give them their independence,either as a seperate state or as part of Malaysia.

Maybe I am naive thinking like this but it could hardly be any worse. If the Muslims/Islams aren t happy with their rights and the way things are run, then let them have their own gov,economy and see how they get on. I dont think it comes down to rights. I think they are just terrorists,with an extreme mindset who fight in the name of Islam and rights etc.

I think giving them independence would be easier in the longrun. I come from Northern Ireland and these tit for tat murders went on are still goin on for over 30 years now. A large number of deaths to the bargain also. IMHO,I could give a shit about N Ireland. To be honest I don t think its worth fighting over,its cold,it rains, its expensive, the girls are nothing special and you likely to encounter some kind of biggotry when you want it go out. Full of too many narrow minded twats. I ve no problems with a United Ireland. BUt then I don t subscribe to any kind of religious views or ideologies so these topics don t stir anything in me. Just my view.

I think the problem comes for the Non Muslims who live there, would they have to leave? what would their rights be? and if you give in, they will gain strength in this, and keep going and push harder for more...and more in other places...That said, I do believe in a Palistinain homeland, which is all part of this as well I guess...

The southern provinces might have been their own political entity at one time, but if they were allowed self government now, it would likely make more sense for them to join with their Muslim brothers on the Malaysian side of the border.

Economic interests and nationlisitic pride and even obligation I think prevent governments from making large land concesions no matter how much sense it might make.

I have heard it mentioned over the years a few times but can someone refresh me on exactly what were the circumstances that Thailand came to posses the southern 4 provinces ? Am I right remembering that it was a political concesion with possibly Russia after WWI ?

I found this drinking my morning cofee before rushing off to work.

Not sure it's the best source, but ot the sites I saw it seems to be discussed most thoroughly, and the guy seems to be speaking factually.

muslimwakeup.com

Since the 18th century, successive Thai rulers have sought to subjugate these Malay states and bring them within the domain of the Siamese empire. In 1901 the Thai ruler King Chulalongkorn broke the peace treaty with the Malay states and launched a military campaign against them. His centralisation programme (thesaphiban) regrouped the seven provinces of Patani under one unit called the Boriween chet huamuang (Area of the Seven Provinces). Siamese administrators were appointed by the King to rule the Malay provinces directly from the royal capital of Krungtheep (Bangkok). In 1906 the seven Malay provinces were brought closer together under a single administrative unit called Monthon Patani. It was only in 1909 that the Malay kingdoms of Kelantan, Trengganu, Kedah and Perlis were taken over by the British colonial power with the signing of the Anglo-Siamese treaty. Despite the division created by the Anglo-Siamese treaty, the Malay kingdoms of Patani were similar to their mainland counterparts in every respect: Patani society was Islamic and Malay in character. They shared the same language, political culture, social structures, customs and values. Cross-border contact between the kingdoms remained high, despite various attempts by the British and Siamese to police the boundary between them.(1)

The Thaksin government's approach has been criticized as heavy-handed, but Thaksin seems in no mood to negotiate, saying Friday: "These people only want violence; it means they do not want to talk."

You don't get to share this earth with me if all you want is to eradicate those that have a different opinion.

Archived