Eye laser surgery

Bkkbound04

Bumrumgrad has a package deal for both eyes, around Bt.60,000

Rutina Eye Institute on Asok also has a very good reputation, a bit higher in cost than B-grad. They will do a complete evaluation for Bt. 1000 on a walk-in basis.

Many other facilities in Bangkok, as well as Chaing Mai and Pattaya perform the procedure for a wide variety of prices.

Do a Google.

I am considering this surgery later this year.

There is a lengthy post on www.thorntree.lonelyplanet.com, health branch, from FIENDISH about a year ago,called "Report on my laser eye surgery Bangkok" describing his lasik surgery at B-grad. use their search tool to dig it out. He describes the surgery as well as his own feelings during it pretty well.

I had mine done at TRSC on Rama IV Road across from Lumpini Park in November, 2000.

I was very pleased with the results. They are a bit more expensive than Rutnin Eye Clinic and Bumrungrad, but from what I hear (and have experienced) they are worth it because they use newer technology (more recent generation of laser and software).

Sorry, my info is a bit dated. I paid 68,000 THB in 2000, but you can check their website for more current info.

had mine done in Ramatipodi Hospital (they have a special clinic for this) around 5 years ago. was 40'000 THB which included all treatment and control visits.

was very satisfied with the outcome. but it was quite painful during the first hours after the treatment

sarisin said...I was very pleased with the results...
... then samak said: was very satisfied with the outcome...

Hmmn... Serious point here, fellers (from someone who's considered laser surgery but chickened out every time... :clown:): both of you profess to be "pleased/satisfied" with the outcome of the procedure. Okay. Is that "punching the air with glee" pleased :applause: or just "crap pair of socks for Xmas from the mother-in-law" "pleased"? :rolleyes:

See, what alarms lily-livered me is the hidden implication that one might have the surgery and not be completely satisfied with the net result? What's the chance of the results not being satisfactory? (Anecdotal evidence or otherwise welcome here, from anyone.) What I mean is, if it's not a 100% (or at least 99.9%) surefire safe bet, then that's me out of the door like a scalded cat. :o

Can either or both of you be a bit more specific about how satisfied/pleased you are? Are there any/many drawbacks or effects that you're not wholly "pleased/satisfied" with? From and to what degree or poor vision has your eyesight been corrected, and has there been any degeneration or other side-effect shit since the treatment? ::

Cheers for info in advance from yours hypochondriacally,

jack :help:

Mr. Jack,

As someone who had worn glasses and contacts since the dinosaurs roamed the earth, I am still very pleased with the results. I think I wrote the details of the operation, etc. on this or another site.

I will agree with samak in that the operation itself was no picnic - ah, to mess around with Robert Duvall's monologue a bit: "There is nothing like the smell of burnt eyeballs in the morning."

But, it was over in less than 20 minutes for both eyes. Sorry to discourage you further, but I got a mild infection in one eye and had to take antibiotics and go back daily for a week to take care of that.

Now, the good news: my far away vision (pathetic description, eh?) has been corrected to 20-15 and is great.

However, I still use reading glasses in dark reading situations or if the print is very small.

I had one eye corrected for close up and one for far away. It is called monovision and, no, I do not routinely walk into lamposts as a result of this.

Also, the doc during the screening process said I had a better than for most chance of getting night glare, but I do not have this.

Honestly, despite any negativism you might see above, I am so happy with the results and wish I could have done it 20+ years ago.

And, now, I think there is a procedure where they don't have to cut your eyeballs (with a butter knife in my case :D) and, of course, the success rate is supposed to be better with a shorter recovery time.

Archived