Over the counter antibiotic for the drips?

The last time I went to thailand I came down with the clap, which I believe was chlamitia,had to have caught it from bbbj.Any ways I was given some antibiotics from a pharmacy that did nothing for me, when i went back to the pharmacy a diffrent pharmacist was on duty and gave me a single pill that cleared it up almost over night, I didnt think of writing down the the name of the pill and threw out the aluminum wrapper it came in. Does anyone know what it might have been so next time i can save some time and money

Chlamydia (which incidentally is not the "clap" - that's gonorrhea) is usually cured with a prolonged course, three weeks or so, of tetracycline, doxycycline or erythromycin. But then, only the Goddess of Venereal Diseases knows what you really had. If one dose did the trick, I suspect it actually was Trichiomonasis. Itchy, itchy. It's treated with one dose of metronidazole.

Hey, you should get yourself a medical lexicon. Reading opens up the wonders of the universe! And a whole can of germs, too!

[ January 17, 2002: Message edited by: Scum_Baggio ]

A single tablet of Cipro (500mg),Floxin(400mg), or Suprax (400mg) can be used to treat gonorrhea. As far as I know, there is no single tablet therapy for Chlamydia or Trichomonas. A single 1000mg oral suspension of Zithromax can be used for Chlamydia. Metronidazole can be used for Trichomonas in a single dose, but requires taking a few tablets all at once.

Do you remember how expensive the drug was? Chlamydia can be treated by a single dose of azithromicin (Zithromax), consisting of two pills. Zithromax is expensive: at least US$10 for the two pills.

Gonorrhoea can be treated by one or two pills of ciprofloxacine and is cheap (about US$1?).

quote:

Originally posted by Old hippie:

Just a general reminder, as I feel it bares repeating, be careful with self prescribed anti-biotics, sometimes you can really do yourself wrong if you mis use them. Just a caution.

Sorry Old Hippie I cant resist.

Got to laugh when someone with a handle Old hippie warns against misuse of pharaceuticals.

Ok I've spat my coffee over the screen and managed to stand up having fallen off my seat laughing with this one.

but yes good advice.

Zithromax and Doxycycline can be bought no problem over the counter in BKK. Problem with it is they suggest no advice and the instruction leaflet is in Thai only.

I haven't read much about the drug resistant strains developing, is that the case for Clamydia in particular?

Where does a punter in BKK find a doctor easy for these things and is it expensive for a visit?

Archived