Tipping in LOS - make someone's day

Dumsoda

Hi Rex,

It's all relative, and therein lays the problem.

Living there, you'll be much more subdued about it. And if not, your gf will make sure you are. :D

Another thing to consider is being with your tirak in her neighborhood, and tipping while with her. But after you leave, her regular wait help at her regular restaurant might expect the same from her, after you have left.

That has been my experience. In that circumstance, she will be adamant that you don't leave a tip. She will not want to set a precedence that she will have to keep up, after you are gone. ::

HT

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I do believe tipping is not required though becoming expected with the influx of foreigners placing first world values on third world situations... If the money is flowing freely for you fine, it is just that the customs in Thailand do not require it (unless I guess if you are in the highest of establishments) and I refuse to tip if I had bad service or if it is the type of establishment that just does not warrant it. I also hear that they will look at you as a stupid foreigner if you throw your money around. Leaving 10 to 20 baht on the tray is enough. I hate the fact that you have to tip for bad service in the USA but in Thailand at least you have discretion.

Oneye

Old Hippie said:

"...Yes always leave a tip for the maid, 20baht + 100 on the last day (usually all my small change that I've accumalated)..."

Here is the problem with leaving tips for the maid. When you check out, one of the bell hops checks your room, stolen towels, mini bar etc...he may pocket the tip you intend for the maid...maybe better to leave it each day.

Wont happen in my hotel as the maid is ready to clean my room within seconds of me leaving for the beach :D

Firstly she is always in the corridor doing some other room and we exchange "hellos", secondly, many occassions I've left my room, forgotten something, gone back and she's already started cleaning....however I know what you mean....

On a slightly different note, I left about 10,000baht in notes in my room one day and the maid gave me absolute grief the day later about leaving it around - I think she wanted to make a subtle point that she was honest and didn't take the money :D

Archived