Tipping in LOS - make someone's day

Dumsoda

Something that I have not seen discussed much, is the level at which members leave small gratuities for the service staff in areas other than P4P.

Sure, we're all on holidays, care free and reasonably cashed up....let's big note a little and splash some cash on Lady drinks. it's great to be told that Khun Falang is Jai Dee mak, makes us feel good doesn't it, when loosely translated it just means...look girls, I've just scored another commission on the drink this schmuck's just bought me....

But in the real world, not everything is P4P, even in the main drag of "Tourist town" there are many many "good" girls (and boys for that matter) who work really hard at meanial jobs for what, to us Falangs, is an absolute pittance. They obviously had a choice. to play or not to play.....(or then again, maybe they didn't...maybe they were not attractive enough to draw interest ) but for whatever reason they elect to work a "straight" job.

Do you leave a small "tip" for these people??

Personally, my wife guided me down this path quite a few years ago. She is not a poser and does not throw money around unecessarily, but always insisted I leave small change on or under the pillow each morning for the room maid at whatever Hotel we stayed in. Not a lot, maybe 40 Baht, enough for Kin Kao...buy the girl lunch, she always told me... I guess old habits die hard because I have continued and still continue to do this. Always, without fail get absolute top class service......need another towel Sir, here take 3.....

I guess what I'm saying is, a small tip like this which is almost nothing to us, can equate to somewhere around 25% of a day's wages to these people and can often literally ...make their day...

Same goes for the Reception Staff at the Hotels, as there is usually 2 or 3 behind the desk, I always leave 2 or 3 hundred baht...for Kin Kao...on the day I leave. Being a creature of habit, I always stay in the same places and in most cases I am remembered when I return, often being given a room upgrade without asking.

Even in Dept stores like Robinson's I will often haggle for a deal with the cute little Sales assistant and then when the deal is done, give her the discount back in cash as a tip to buy lunch. I Guess we all get our jollies in different ways.

What are your thoughts?? Do you leave tips for the service staff??

If not, maybe give it a try next visit. You may be surprised at the return that a single dollar can generate.

Go ahead....make their Day.....but in a nice way....over the space of a trip, $50 is only one extra ST (give or take) but could put a genuine smile on a genuine face 50 times.

Chock dee Dumsoda :beer: :beer: :beer:

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tip yes, but you have to remember that tipping is a great americanism that has fucked up industries and countries all over the world.

Sure, taxis to the nearest 10 baht, restaurants if they are any good and don't fuck up your order. Bars, yes, a little with the checkbin. Hotels, a little on the pillow or in the maid's hand when you check in to guarantee service.

ONe time, on an island in the south Andaman, I'd leave 2 x Bt20 on the bed each day. Every day, the room maid would get small flowers and make them into an every more intricate pattern on our bed. Liklihood is that she made Bt2000 per month and we're giving her 50%+ again.

torrenova said:

Tip yes, but you have to remember that tipping is a great americanism that has fucked up industries and countries all over the world.

Agree 110%, but like most Aussies don't follow the American trends in this area

ONe time, on an island in the south Andaman, I'd leave 2 x Bt20 on the bed each day. Every day, the room maid would get small flowers and make them into an every more intricate pattern on our bed. Liklihood is that she made Bt2000 per month and we're giving her 50%+ again.

This probably better sums up the point I was trying to make, in one sentence. Exactly like the mastercard ad......some things in life are pricelass..... You outlayed a dollar a day.....obviously made an impact on that particular persons life and were "rewarded" by the artistic efforts that were created especially for you.... call me "an old softie"....but I really like to both give and also get the feedback.

Chock dee Dumsoda

:beer:

I've often tipped the hotel room maid upon departure, and in restaurants/bars, though its never occurred to me to tip the reception staff (unless they show me to the room, give some suggestions, help with baggage, etc). Don't usually tip taxi drivers either unless service is exceptional and they are on a meter, though I will round up... often times I've felt like I was overcharged by taxi drivers 'not on meter'.

When playing golf, it is customary to tip the same amount as the base caddy fee. If she is good, I tip more.

Another thing I've done with caddies: Through conversation during the round, I usually find out if she has children. Many do, often 2. I carry some US $1 coins in my golf bag, and then at the end of the round give her one for each of her children. Makes a big hit!

The caddies are usually from Issan. They work hard for little money, and often get little respect. Most aren't pretty enough for a 'night' job, or aren't interested in that type of work.

Hi,

Yes, I tip in most places. Rounding up taxi fees, rounding up the pizza delivery cost, etc. Don't really stay in hotels.

The one thing I remember was when I was still going to karaoke often. My friends and I always tipped the waitress 100 Baht at the end of the evening, which on a 2,000 Baht bill really doesn't make that much difference.

However, from what I understood this was very uncommon. Most customers would not think twice about tipping the girl they sat with 500 or even a 1,000 Baht, yet would leave not tip for the waitress.

Not surprisingly we got exceptional service from the waitresses, to this day I do not know our membership number, yet every waitress there knew, just like they knew which mixers to bring.

As mentioned before that 100 Baht likely was a serious increase in her daily income.

Sanuk!

Dumsoda said:

Even in Dept stores like Robinson's I will often haggle for a deal with the cute little Sales assistant and then when the deal is done, give her the discount back in cash as a tip to buy lunch. I Guess we all get our jollies in different ways.

Chock dee Dumsoda :beer: :beer: :beer:

I have never heard of anyone "haggle" for a deal in Robinson's. Am I missing something there?

gene1944 said:

I have never heard of anyone "haggle" for a deal in Robinson's. Am I missing something there?

gene,

can be and was most definitely done.

Sat. 9 July Robinson's Soi 19 around 6 p.m. was with "cute ass" CA from my trip report and on the way back to her bar in Cowboy to pay bar again.... stopped by Robinson's to look for a couple of polos...earlier visit that day to Tokyu at MBK proved fruitless because sizes too small...

Found exactly what I wanted...Jeep brand Polos 1 black & 1 burgandy...size 3 XL. Price 899Baht each

Didn't want to carry them out with us that night, so told sales girl I would be back Sun morning at 10am to buy before I left for Pattaya. Went to leave and girl calls us back....buy now and I give you 5% discount......I laughed and replied that I did not want to carry them and 100 Baht would not change my mind....tried to leave again........buy now I give you 10%.... Again I said no...... but before I went to leave this time I took a 100Baht note from my pocket and handed it to the girl. Told her...you are a good salesperson and I WILL be back tomorrow for the polos....here hold this as a deposit to show I am telling the truth....Bye I'll see you tomorrow.....took 2 steps and heard the voice again...buy now I give 15% discount...

I cracked up, this girl would just not take no for an answer. Gave in and agreed to buy then and there.

Got slightly "dudded" because she rounded the price off to 800 each, I was too busy laughing and having a good time to even bother doing the numbers in my head....paid 1600 Bt, CA got the bag to carry and we go to leave..... Then salesgirls friend starts to speak with her (in Thai) Salesgirl calls us back and pulls 100Bt from her pocket....your deposit she says.....

Told her to keep it and buy her friend lunch.....bottom line...I end up with a Robinson's discount, while the salesgirl and friend get a free lunch.

It can be done, try it next time yourself, just keep smiling and joking with the sales staff. Most of all have fun and enjoy. To quote a very Thai phrase.......Don't serious !!

Chock dee Dumsoda

:beer:

I usually tip the maids in hotel first morning, 50 baht each.

Then ask for additional towels. Always get extras.

If taxi driver does a good job I round up, tough job driving around for few baht, tip small amounts in restaurants, gf angry if I tip even 20 baht.

Dali said:I carry some US $1 coins in my golf bag, and then at the end of the round give her one for each of her children. Makes a big hit!
Nice gesture and maybe a "hit", but worthless to them. One cannot change coins at the ForEx booth or even a bank!

Anyway, on topic. Tipping. I do as Torranova & DumSoda do and for the same reasons.

Cheers,

SD

Seeing as I live in Las Vegas, tipping it a part of everyday life. I count on tips as do most all of the workers in this town. Right or wrong it is indeed an important part of our ecomony here. I think that for many europeans it is confusing and not well understood. They somehow see it as a rip off or some sort of extra charge. Might I say that when traveling in europe I find it equaly confusing to pay a "bread" charge or having a "service" charge added to the bill in many restaruants. Another thing along similar lines is how many europeans are shocked when they have to pay sales tax on items. They are used to the tax being hidden in the price "vat" I hear them comment lots of times about how they thought something was $10 and they had to pay $10.80.

As far as LOS is concerned I do find that I have to temper myself a bit so as to not over tip. I always leave 20 baht per day on the pillow, and usualy 50 on the day I check out. I round up taxis and tip a small amount in resteraunts and bars. If the person is really fun and helpful I tip more. I do agree, its great to make someones day for a really small amount of money and dispite those that may think it will "spoil" them I will continue to tip. Oh but one caveat. It the person is pushy and expecting a tip I will almost always stiff them.

Archived