Tipping in LOS - make someone's day

Dumsoda

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tipping.

A little history first. In the US there is a minimum wage set by the federal government. Some states set a higher minimum wage. And below the minimum wage is a lower rate for waitstaff - waiters and waitresses. This rate is set below the minimum wage as it is assumed that tips will make up the difference. Tipping is built into the system.

What does this have to do with Thailand?

Years ago, I met a Brit in the restaurant on lower level of Landmark Hotel. He stated that the Yanks are screwing things up by tipping. Also, many of the guidebooks state no tipping in Thailand.

What do I do in LOS? I place two 20 baht notes on my towels before room is cleaned in hotel. I always get super service/extra towels. I have never had anything missing/stolen in over 20 years of trips to Thailand. I have always had excellent service in hotels. I have stayed in the best 5 star hotels all the way down to my last hotel stay in Pattaya @ 550 baht per night (between Soi 8 and 7). The hotel staff are some of the best people I have met in Thailand.

Tip or no tip? "Up to you".

Dumsoda said:

Same goes for the Reception Staff at the Hotels, as there is usually 2 or 3 behind the desk, I always leave 2 or 3 hundred baht...for Kin Kao...on the day I leave. Chock dee Dumsoda :beer: :beer: :beer:

I do the same, but when I ARRIVE!

I want to have something out of my "Genourosity". Never failed!

MaW

BelgianBoy said:
Dali said:

I've often tipped the hotel room maid upon departure.

Make sure next time, like others pointed out already and as I do, to tip her on arrival to make sure you will get a good service. Not afterwards.....

BB

Didn't see your post, as I made mine. But as usual, we are on the same track.

Daag

MaW

In bars and restarants in T-land, tips are usually split among ALL the staff, yielding each person an almost useless amount of money......And in those cases I don't tip...which includes 100% gogo bars....because I want to know exactly who is getting my tip. (and the other reason i don't tip in gogo bars is that i basically don't like waitresses continuing to ask me if i want another drink...in fact i usually don't even want a drink when i go into a gogo, but i have to buy one).

Tipping in the bars and go-gos is not so straightforward:

In my bars, any tips are shared out between the girls who are left at the end of the night i.e. those who are not barfined. They get 100% of what is available.

Take the Buffalo Bar on Sai 3 in Pattaya. The working girls get nothing ! The service staff get it all.

In some unscrupulous bars, the tips go to the boss ! I was even pulled up one time in a bar for directly tipping and had a right go at the owner. Never set foot in there since.

Generally, I believe that if you want 100 for something, charge 100, don't charge 90 and add 10 "service". How the fuck am I supposed to get my food, go to the kitchen and get it myself - of course not. Asia was never this way but they catch on quick.

I know I can never stop tipping on the American scale but I wish some of the Yanks would engage brain before doling out tips USA style as it only makes them greedy for more. And, once the employers find out, they will refuse to increase wages citing the amount of tips the staff are getting thus making them more dependent upon the generocity of their patrons.

khunsanuk said:

Hi,

"because I want to know exactly who is getting my tip."

Give it in their hand. Any tip left on the tray / inside the booklet is shared amongst all the staff, any tip given directly into a person's hand is for that person only.

Sanuk!

That's exactly how it works.

Most hotels on Samui pay around 5 to 7K basic wages per month, on top of that staff makes another 5 to 9K per months on shared tip, besides what they make as personal tips.

This is fair to me since not all staff will be in touch with customers, like kitchen staff, laundry staff, gardeners etc.

Archived