Tipping in LOS - make someone's day

Dumsoda

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
rickfarang said:

Does any part of the service charge go to the staff, or am I stiffing them?

rick,

From my experiences and also from what has been posted above, a service charge is treated virtually the same as when you leave a tip on the tray or in the folder, that is, it gets shared between all staff. (most establishments, but sadly not ALL)

But if you actually place money into the hand of the "service provider" it then becomes a personal issue and that staff member gets to keep it all.

Chock dee Dumsoda :beer:

Tipping in the USA is way over done, and expected, even for shitty service, or no service. You can go get coffee, and the cashier wants a tip for handing you a cup...rediculis. In Los, if I see a service charge added, I may leave the coins, and nothing else, as I am told this is the Thai way. A few girls have told me I was tipping to much, and not to leave anything. In most cases, I am told 20 Bhat is enough, I might give more directly to a server if I received outstanding service...of course I usually eat in cheap or low end places...

Old Hippie said:

...of course I usually eat in cheap or low end places...

OH,

Does this mean you're a fan of "Dining at the Y"? Usually low end, but not always cheap!!

Last trip I told "cute ass" I must be a lesbian, because Kin Hoy aroi dee..... she thought it was funny and when we went back to her bar to pay bar again, she proceeded to tell every girl in the Bar.....K. Dumsoda lesbian....hehehehe... kin hoy mak mak !!!! ended up with 2 other offers.....I come with you too O.K.??

Chock dee Dumsoda

:beer: :beer:

This is a sensitive spot for me, as I am a taxi driver in a canadian ski resort.

I have spewed this same rhetoric before but ...

If you ever expect to see the same service staff again, there is no way you can be further ahead by pocketing that tip money.

Where gratuities are common , the employers, even here, have adjusted the wages on the assumption that you will recieve gratuities. Even in Taixi driving. We recieve no profit from the meter , only the minimum wage pluss grat's.

If you did not tip me on the first trip I will go out of my way not to pick you up the second time, tell other drivers your a waste of time and to avoid you.

In the event that you phone the taxi service and I am obligated to serve you , you service will be curt and every effort will be made to maximize my employers profits ( i gota keep looking good :-).

If you tip me within reason 1$ CDN + , I will make every efort and actually take pleasure in directing you to good deals, and anything else that would benefit your stay.

Resteraunts are the same, if the meal was good enough to go back, you better have tipped your waitress. Girls will gossip you know ?

But hey, your allways entitled to a certain minimum of service lol lol :-).

You don't need to be familiar with tiping, you dont need to be aware of local customs. If someone pleases you , show some kindness, buy them a drink or even half a drink.

Archived