Returning to States for neck surgery

New Petchburi Pete

Thanks for the info and interesting reply. The head surgeon at BNH's Spinal Surgery Center did his fellowship at the University of Missouri in the States. He said he brought back the P.E.E.K. technology from the States. If he intended to use custom fit/formed replacements, I'm sure he would have mentioned that fact. He did inform me that BNH would charge 30,000. Baht apiece for the artificial replacement discs. I'd be curious if, in your opinion, based on your knowledge and experience, BNH was charging a bit too much.

Someone there did inform me that the same surgeon also does the same procedures at Bangkok Christian Hospital; and, if I had the surgery there, the hospital bill portion (etc.) of the 500,000. Baht estimate would have been signifiantly less. Another thing that rubbed me the wrong way is that the surgeon (orthopedist not neurosurgeon like I'll have in Boston) insisted on having a cardiologist present. In Boston, this is not necessary ... I just need a cardiac clearance. In the States at least, the anesthesiologist is in charge in the O.R.; and, he/she would call a cardiologist only if necessary. That jacked up the cost estimate as well.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks to all who have wished me well. I will let you know how everything goes. I've had many sleepless nights here in LOS due to the extreme pain at times. So, I'm anxious to get this over with.

I am greatly comforted by the fact my wife will be coming with me. Fortunately, my doctor (primary care) worked in Thailand for 2 years or so; and, he understands how spouses (and family) desire to stay in the same room ... he says he'll try his best to accomodate us; and, based on my past experiences at the fine institution where I'll have my surgery, I'm sure they come up with some arrangement.

Archived