Returning to States for neck surgery

New Petchburi Pete

I had a myelogram done on July 9th at B.N.H. in Bangkok. I was seen by their top surgeon. He recommended replacement of 3 cervical discs with the newer 'P.E.E.T' artificial discs. The cost estimate was as high as 500,000. Bt. My insurance does not cover me here; but, does in the States. So I will be returning (with wife) to Boston around Aug. 20. I 'll consult with the neurosurgeon (doctor at B.N.H. was an Orthopedist) on Aug. 24th; and, he assures me that the surgery will be performed in the following week. I have no idea about recouperation time, etc.

I've always wanted to show my wife Boston, etc. We may well be there for fall foliage. If we are, I plan on taking her up to Moultonboro in the NH Lakes region. A fellow board member (just returned from LOS, Cambodia and Vietnam) lives there. He's a close friend. He'll take us touring through the White Mountains, etc. ... just hope to be back before I see snow ... or maybe that would be good thing for her to experience? ... can't wait to indulge in real Pizza, Italian sausages, etc. !!! For those of religious persuasion, please keep me in your prayers.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi, Pete

Hope this will go as the last one did. Good you see in it an opportunity to show some incredible places to the wife (and kid?). Way to go. Let us know how it turns out, here or privately. And pack up with medecine for a whole year, on your return, that will buy some peace of mind!

best thoughts

Do you have to pay any deductibles and co-payment in USA? My BC-BS insurance is $500 dedictible, and then I pay 20% of the charge above that (up to some limit). So having it done in the USA would only be a little cheaper than Thailand for me, assuming the Thai cost (no insurance) is about one-fifth of the USA cost .

Thanks P127, N.D., dean and 'w.y.d.' for the encouragement.

Just my wife and I are going. Our young son is simply too wild and crazy at this stage for him to make the journey. He'll be staying with his grandparents in Chaiayaphum. They are wildly excited about having him for a few weeks or so. Plus, I think he'll enjoy a taste of life in the village. It should be a good experience for him. He's almost 2 yrs, 4 and a half months old now; and, already he weighs over 22 kgs. and stands over 40 inches tall. He's not fat; but, he sure is strong for his age. He'll eat 5 or 6 eggs at a time. And, he can easily put down a dozen (or more!) chicken wings ... he downed 16 a couple of nights ago. What's hilarious is that when someone asks him his name, he'll say "Skytrain!" He loves riding on Syktrain.

Thanks for that & the prayers!

Not sure if you're familiar with Boston; but, when I take the 'T' into towne to have my consultation, I like to get out in Kenmore Square and walk up to the medical center. That takes me right by Fenway ... always great to see it & feel the pre-game excitement. Maybe I'll get to see a Red Sox game ... hopefully, live at Fenway Park.

Also, I'll be there during preseason for the Patriots; and, I should see a couple (maybe a few) regular season games as well. I know that the Pats aren't picked to win another Super Bowl this year ... but, ya never know! ... to the best of my knowledge, no NFL team has won 4 of 5 of the last Super Bowls. However, there's a first time for everything ... who can really predict with injuries, referee calls, luck and the bounce of the ball? I'm sure Pittsburgh is feeling pretty hungry going into this season. We shall see.

Archived