Returning to States for neck surgery

New Petchburi Pete

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pete,

Sorry to hear you need the surgery. Hope it goes well. I actually need the same thing myself (2 discs) so let me know how it goes. I'm interested in how the new artificial discs work out. (These are the type they've been using for a while now in England aren't they?)

On another note, I'll be back in Boston by September 10th for my daughter's October 1st wedding, and will stay until around the 10th of October, so if you are going to be around maybe we can have a Sam Adams or two and a chat and meet? :beer: Maybe if the weather is good a meet at Ames Plow in Fanuel Hall is in order. We can chat and girl-watch all in one at an outdoor table. :)

Good luck with the surgery. If you're going to have surgery done I can't think of a better place than the Boston hospitals. Lucky for you you have the insurance to cover this stuff. Snow? I'll be gone long before that crap starts!! :yikes:

Cent

Hi Cent,

I see the neurosurgeon on Aug. 24; and, he promises to operate within a week's time. I should be out of the hospital within a few days. I'll probably have to wear a brace for a few weeks. The artificial discs they use at BNH in BKK are the P.E.E.T. ones - some type of polymer ... not sure, but my guess is that they use the same ones in Boston.

A pint of Guinness sounds good ... Ames Plough, Black Rose, Purple Shamrock, Black (or is it Red?) Dragon on Marshall Street, or that great Irish place across fom the Fleet Center ... at the Dragon during lunch they serve a 20 ouncer for $4.00 (or they did a couple of years back) ...anywhere in the area would be fine.

?? bleachers at Fenway ?

I miss Boston. I hope to meet up with you and make the rounds. Last year, I thought the best eye candy was on the T ... university gals were moving back in after the summer break.

I'll send you a pm when I'm able to get out. I/we should be there until Halloween ... huge event these days in New England. Witnessed it 2 years ago ... couldn't believe folks do as much exterior decorating as for Christmas!

N.D.

It will definitely seem like a honeymoon. Time for the linebacker to begin his Muay Thai training! The family has a new house made out of concrete ... I just hope the walls are thick enough. I know he'll wind up in the village pond ... yup, the one that's supposed to be haunted! If he spots water, he dives right in ... he did this at a restaurant recently!

My wife's younger sister took him out to Carrefour the other day ... we got a call saying he had destroyed some items at some display near the food court ... the wife had to go down to reimburse the merchant. Come to think of it I still haven't seen my ATM card yet! ::

He'll eat 5 or 6 eggs at a time.

-----------------------------------

Cool, next time I am in town, you guys have to come to the condo, my ex (with whom I have never been in better terms now that we are "friends"), famous for her egg-cooking thanks to the pix gallery, will fry him a few. :)

New Petchburi Pete said:

The artificial discs they use at BNH in BKK are the P.E.E.T. ones - some type of polymer ...

Actually the acronym is PEEK, short for Polyetheretherketone. I did a lot of work with designing alternative tools used to mold this stuff. We were looking at medical applications that needed a low cost (relatively speaking) method to mass customize products.

To apply the idea to your situation, the implant manufacturer would design the product based upon your actual bone structure taken from CAT scans. My alternative tools would then be used to mold the product. Voila, a customized implant. But the idea never flew in the States because of resistance from the insurance community (why they do not like it I cannot fathom).

FWIW, the way they do it now is that the implants are mass produced in S, M & L sizes and the surgeon modifies each one to fit, using trial and error, while you are on the table.

Cool shit, PEEK. Very unique properties.

Oh, and good luck on the surgery. I am sure that you will be fine.

Cheers,

SD, engineer geek

Archived