Bored of Suda? better Thai eateries in lower Suk!

samak

while there were beside the low key places like Suda always a bunch of middle class Tai restaurants like Anna's Cafe, Rot Sabiang (Soi 11) and the still going strong Cabbage & Condom, i noticed recently the opening of two High End Thai restaurants.

Sukhumvit Number one (Soi 14 opposite Suda) and Wakamala (Soi 8); both are in old beautiful thai houses and very stylish decorated. Sukhumvit Number one has also traditional Thai dances and music. both have a very careful selected Thai Cuisine, excellent cooked dishes on nicely arranged plates. prices are of course a bit higher than your usual Suda-type restaurant or street foodstalls. Wakamala has still reasonable prices, dishes from 100 - 300 THB, so you can manage a bill below 1000 THB for 2 persons. this limit is difficult to keep in Sukhumvit Number one, unless you order just one dish per person. Sukhumvit Number one seems to be a sister venue of Seafood Palace.

both places are not very crowded as the wealthier Thai's avoid this tourist ghetto area.

so if you would like to impress your catch of the day.....

Received an advert from a girl Monday as I passed Soi 14 announcing a buffet lunch at Suk 1 House for 119 baht. Will try it soon.

By the way, I rather enjoyed the buffet lunch at Panorama in the Jasmine City complex (Soi 23). Several very good Thai dishes (one with some good-sized, yummy prawns), pasta bar, and some decent deserts. Includes coffee for 149 baht net, but for some reason they gave me a 10% discount which made it even cheaper.

I will return, and I believe they have a less expensive breakfast buffet too. :)

Archived