ebay

Do a search as this topic was discussed at length not that long ago. The issue of the viability of selling on eBay directly from Thailand vs. one's native country was debated.

Unit 731 raises some valid issues; although, from what I remember from the last eBay thread, some claim to be doing this successfully.

If you research the Ebay site, you'll see some decent Thai products being sold at very low prices. Competition would appear to be fierce. Check 'Benjarong' chinaware for example. It appears that some are somehow able to sell pieces (although specs. and rarity of pattern and age are usually avoided) for less than what most can buy in LOS at supposedly wholesale levels!

BTW, if you go to Gullivers' on a friday evening, you'll probably meet a few gents who have experience/opinions on this topic.

Check the guy/seller/craftsman who made the deal with National Geographic product distribution. I don't know how much success he has; but, he sure sings an inviting tune ... albeit for those who have never been to Thailand IMO.

Arrest Over Fake Rugby Shirts From Thailand

A man employed a Thai tailor to copy Welsh rugby shirts to sell back home in Wales.

Sixty replica rugby jerseys were found at the home of 57-year-old John Patrick O'Leary, along with several pairs of counterfeit Diesel jeans.

Trading standards officers became suspicious after they discovered items were being sent to three addresses for O'Leary.

They later found out that O'Leary had taken a genuine rugby shirt to Thailand and asked a tailor to make copies, paying £26 for each jersey.

But he claimed he paid customs tax and duty and so believed his actions were legal.

O'Leary, of Caerleon Grove, Castle Park, Merthyr Tydfil, who had holidayed in Thailand six times in two years and had claimed the goods were gifts, was estimated to have spent just over £8,000.

Paperwork was found at his home relating to Thailand but his potential profit could not be calculated.

He pleaded guilty to two offences of possessing goods bearing a sign which could be mistaken for a trademark and two offences of offering to supply goods to which a false trademark description had been applied.

In his defence Jeremy Jenkins told Merthyr Tydfil Crown Court: 'We are dealing with a man who is extremely industrious and hardworking.

'He did pay appropriate levels of tax in importing these goods from the Far East into the country but he now realises it's the false description applied during that which causes the offence to be committed.

'It has been a saluatory lesson to him'.

He was sentenced to an eight month jail sentence suspended for two years and ordered to pay £992 costs.

A spokesman for trading standards said: 'This case sends a clear message to those involved in the illicit trade of counterfeit goods that they could face a custodial sentence for their actions.

'The Trading Standards Service is committed to the council's vision of a thriving economy in Merthyr Tydfil and we will continue to clampdown on those individuals who are presenting unfair competition to genuine retailers.'

South Wales Echo 2005-08-04

• 1 month later...

go for it,

the word is becoming a smaller place everyday, great possibilities.

look at delivery costs and times from LOS-I know they're more pricey than other countrys but they are fairly quick.

Thai has some great, unique things to flog. just do your homework and dont expect to much to quickly.

It's certainly possible to make a living for about a days worth of work a week, I did the research on my last trip and it would work OK. I doubt that anyone who is making a living in this way is going to tell you how to do it though.

If you are serious about trading on ebay, then China would be a far better source for your inventory, I know several people in the UK making serious money trading in Chinese sourced products.

Archived