TB or tuberculosis

Pharcyde

Hi,

Just a warning. I underwent a general health check and was diagnosed TB positive. Shit bigtime!

Luckily it is treatable and I am now eating shitloads of pills for the next six months. It has messed my plans up bigtime, but hey, I keep telling myself it could have been worse.

I am not 100% sure where I got the disease, but through treatment and dialogue with mr doc at a Bangkok hospital I was informed that virtually everybody carries the bacteria here in the country.

Therefore, I warn you outthere my fellow nanaplazians. Be careful and get a vaccine!

Touch me I am sick!

Greetings,

Pharcyde

Hey,

I might add that I am otherwise healthy, doing sports and not having any other major diseases. Therefore even strong and healthy people can get TB. This might be because there are many people out in Thailand running around with an active TB that the doctors either havent identified, or simply ignored. In my corner of the world (where I am from) people with TB get isolated for at leats 2-4 weeks to prevent further spreading of the bacteria. Since Thailand is a 3rd world country with dubious health standards, things look quite different around here.

FYI dddave: I was prescribed four different meds. Something called Pyrazinamide, Rifampicin, Ethambutol, and another one which doesnt state its name on the packing. I am end 20s.

Why U wanna know? U over 50?

I didnt realise that TB is such a common disease in these corners of the world, musta slept through my biology lessons at school.

Where I am from its virtually non-existent. But hey, maybe I can change that now...

TB is one of the top 5 infectious diseases world wide. Years (decades) of misuse of antibiotics in the treatment of this disease means that nowadays it is VERY difficult to get rid of. A major problem has been people starting the course of medication, feeling better and then stopping the meds, leading to serious problems for them later on, and the rest of us.

You MUST finish the course of the meds, pretty much come what may. The incidence of TB world wide is rising, and it is starting to be found increasingly in so called "developed" countries. TB is a major developing world health problem...

-j-

Obvious truth in your words Josh Ingu. I know I MUST finish my medication. I wouldnt want not to, too afraid of the consequenses.

Strange thing about the whole story is, if I hadnt gotten this chest x-ray at the health check I prolly would have walked around blisfully ignorant even longer. As a matter of fact I didnt have any severe symptoms other than a good smokers caugh. I quit smoking about nine months ago and thought that this caugh was part of my body cleaning itself. Little did I know...

Now going home to the developed part of the world again. See if the docs at home know anything about this disease or if theyve forgotten all about it. In my part of the world people dont even seem to get vaccinations against it anymore. Bummer.

• 2 weeks later...

When I was 14, I received a TB vaccination, as most young Kiwis did. A few years later, some time in the late ?80s, inoculations against TB were abolished in NZ. I?m just curious if you know how effective the vaccines from that period were. Were they highly effective ? and how long were they supposed to be effective for. Quite curious!

I do remember that the injection hurt like hell!

Archived