What disease is this?

Khun_Kong

Anybody ever hear of something like "esu-esai"? The little kid next door has/had it. Lots of small dark splotches on his legs. Thought it was from scratching a zillion mosquito bites, but saw yesterday that he had a bandage on his arm where he got a shot. Mom said it was because of this esu-esai thing. Maybe measles...but then, why a vaccination?

I may have also heard something like "rot naam nang" with it.

Thanks, Samak.

I thought they might be talking about chicken pox ("have red with something yellow inside..."), but, only on legs- no chest, arms or face and then the mom took him for a vaccination, after the fact, at least by a few weeks.

Anyway, nice to know it's not something more serious. Cute little 4 year old, missing his 2 lower front teeth, hangs around our (new :) ) shop most of the day, never stops talking. Mom and dad absent, being raised by grandparents. When we close up at night and head home, he always follows, with a "bpai duay". We're more than happy to give him some food throughout the day, crayons and paper to play with and to let him watch TV.

Can't comment on the illness itself, but don't let the vaccination throw you off. Many doctors in this country give the patient one or more shots, whether its needed or not.

One guy, in the villiage next to my wife's gives EVERY patient two shots EVERY time.. They call him "Two Shot". As you can imagine, patients are reluctant to return for follow-up unless there is a serious problem.

Archived