Lady drink vs. bottle?

Pat_from_Jersey

in preparation for my trip to paradise, I have many, many questions. However, this one is plaguing me currently. Normally, I do not endorse the idea of buying a "bottle" of booze because I may want to leave long before I'm done. On the other hand, when I find a place I like I tend to stay a couple of hours. So....

Can I buy a bottle at sit down at a cheaper cost than lady drinks?

Will ladies keep coming to me if I "shoo away" those ladies I do not choose?

Do I still have to buy lady drinks or can they drink from my bottle?

If I choose to leave after buying the bottle, can I bring the bottle with me?

Is it permissable to walk down the street with a bottle or cup of beer?

That's it for now. Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated. thanks. -Pat

The answer to most of your question is "It depends on the particular establishment and who is working that ngiht."

You probably can, but I would be surprised if it would be cheaper.

Unless act, appear or smell offensive, they will keep coming to you.

Do I still have to buy lady drinks or can they drink from my bottle?

Depends on the establishment. Most likely, you will still have to buy themd lady drinks because comission from lady drinks is part of their income.

If I choose to leave after buying the bottle, can I bring the bottle with me?

Depends on the establishment. Often the asnwer is "Yes". A few places will keep your bottle with your name on it, so you can return to enjoy it again and again.

Don't know about the law, but you don't see Thais doing it (mostly sitting and drinking), especially in the city. In the resort areas, this might not seem as rude.

Opinions on the above vary.

Good infos rick. In my experience, bottles don't save money but they sure are fun. When I have a bottle in front of me, I drink a lot more in a sitting. This in turn means I am much more generous in LD's and tips. You usually need to buy LD's that don't come from your bottle but when you have a bottle out, you will be a magnet for workers in the bar that like alcohol and some may dip into yours if you let them. For me, a bottle lasts just one or two nights!

If you don't finish your bottle, the bar will keep it for you, but only up to a period of time, usually 6 months but some places as briefly as just one month. Make sure you mark the level of your bottle and sign next to it to keep them honest. Last, you need to factor in mixers (soda, ice). Some places include them in the price and some don't. Good to clear up the cost of this and the expiration period before ordering.

Rickfarang and neo gave good advices .

In gogo/beer bars

though it is possible in a few, nobody does it as you only come and go, and basically except for some folks you do not go there to get drunk.

In MP or massage places, not even an idea I heard of.

In freelancer places: you can in some places but once again it is not useful and it is not cheaper in most cases.

In gentlement clubs: Customers tend to buy bottles

(note that in some clubs mixers are not included in the prices) as it is less expensive, still you have to pay ladydrink to get the ladies sti with you.

In soi33: It depends on what is your "habit" there.

If it is just a meeting place, if you only go there during happy hour, then drink by the glass.

Me I almost always buy a bottle (which lasts 1 night usually) as it is cheaper on the longer term, ladies can drink to your bottle,

(although you still have to pay a LD before), no bill padding possible.

In RCA-discos: Most of the customers buy bottles + mixers as it is cheaper when in groups and you will not go there alone often.

In thai venues or japanese venues: Bottles are very common.

1. Can I buy a bottle at sit down at a cheaper cost than lady drinks?

The two are not related. You have your drinks, the ladies have theirs. The ladies generally do not drink cuz the like to (tho' that is a side effect). They drink because that is their main source of income. They get ~1/2 the price of the drink in commission. Generally bars also have a quota of drinks they must get bought for them, otherwise their meagre monthly salary gets cut.

Bottle economics: A bottle of booze is 750mL. A shot is 44mL. Therefore you get 17 drinks out of a bottle. Unless you are like me and like them strong, then you get less. All bars in Thailand measure drinks -- bartenders do not free-pour, so if you want a strong drink, a bottle is the only way. Back to economics. 17 drinks at B120/ea is B2040. If you pay less than that for a bottle (and the mixers are free), then you are better off buying the bottle. Otherwise not. Of course, there is the intangible benefit of being a bottle holder where you are more well known and therefore get far better service. What's that worth to ya? To me, it is valuable. YMMV.

2. Will ladies keep coming to me if I "shoo away" those ladies I do not choose?

Maybe. But more likely not because they will take it that you do not want company. No worries, tho'. You just make eye contact or beckon one you like to come over. She will.

3. Do I still have to buy lady drinks or can they drink from my bottle?

See #1. Now some gals will just order plain cola if you buy them a lady drink and ask if they can drink your whiskey because a) it is of better quality then the whiskey they get in a lady drink and B) (cynically) the bar owner tells them to to make your bottle disappear faster LOL! Now I and my friends have been known to buy a bottle of Thai whiskey for all the dancers in a gogo bar to share to get the party going. This is purely for getting the gals loose and drunk, They receive no income from it, but it IS highly appreciated and you are rewarded accordingly (but I would not do this as a newbie as the gals may not know what to make of it). We still buy them lady drinks too.

4. If I choose to leave after buying the bottle, can I bring the bottle with me?

Yes, it is yours to do with as you wish. But usually one just leaves it at the bar. Some places are very informal and just write your name on it and put it on a open shelf behind the bar. Some places note the level, have you sign it, lock the bottle in a cabinet, give you a reciept which you must present to claim your bottle, and you must sign a book everytime you access it. Most are somewhere in between.

I do not think there is a law against it, but outside of a bar district (i.e., going from bar to bar on Cowbey or in NEP), it is gauche. Do not do that.

Cheers,

SD

If concerned about lady drinks...tell the girl your with she can only order your drink of choice...this most likely wiil not be consumed and you can drink it ! By doing this you buy the LD she wants and get the drink you would buy for yourself...if LD is already established to be coke or something else without choice my example doesn't work!

SkiBum

Hi!

Unless act, appear or smell offensive, they will keep coming to you.

Although this is true in most bars there are excepttions. In many bars there is a very strict pecking orders among the girls. If you sho away one of the older girls high up on the pecking order the younger ones might not dare to approach you. I have first hand experience of this.

regards

ALHOLK

That is true, but it can be kind of a catch 22 situation. If you don't shoo her away, others might be reluctant to go with you for fear of being seen as prying in and stealing the original ones customer. The right play is not always obvious and this type thing creates a lot of unseen loss of face and friction in bars unbeknownst to most farangs. Just got to play it on instincts sometimes. For me, I'll pretty much shoo all undesirables with the exception if a girl I like has a good friend/sister she wants me to take care of I let her enter my circle of favorites regardless.

That is a fine system and the one I employ as well. I find it humorous that some farang just cannot seem to say "NO*" even though they do not like the girl with them. Some sort of misplaced chivalery that the less desirable gals can easily identify and prey upon. Oh well, up to them.

Cheers,

SD

* - Actually, anywhere in Asia I always say "not today" as a direct "no" is needlessly rude, especially if one is speaking in the local vernacular.

Archived