Dengue fever

phiketpete

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Just got out of 4 days in hospital yesterday. Came down with Dengue Fever after a trip to Buriram 10 days ago, although the doc said I could have caught it from a mozzie anywhere.High fever, splitting headache that won't go away, aching all over, no appetite. Then you break out in a rash all over your body, which then turns itchy. Still feeling lousy. From brief research on internet, up to 5% fatal.

Does anyone know - once you've had Dengue fever, are you immune to contracting it again?

Found the following on the net:

Early Monsoon Leads To Surge Of Dengue Fever Cases In Thailand

June 15, 2001

BANGKOK, Thailand (AP) - An early monsoon in Thailand has contributed to a dramatic increase in dengue fever, a disease spread by mosquitos, health officials said Friday.

The Health Ministry reported that 31,684 cases of dengue fever were found nationwide during the first five months of this year, an eight-fold increase over the same period last year. There were 18,617 cases for all of 2000.

Already, 60 people have died from the disease this year, compared with 32 for all of last year, said Saravudh Suvannadabba, director of the dengue control division.

He said the number of cases had increased mainly because the rainy season, which usually starts in May in most parts of Thailand, this year began in the middle of April.

Saravudh said the number of cases "might easily reach 100,000 by the end of this year if we cannot control it."

The dengue virus, like malaria, is spread by mosquitos. The most serious form of the disease, dengue hemorrhagic fever, can easily kill if not diagnosed and treated quickly. Weaker persons, such as small children and the elderly, are most at risk. Vaccines against dengue are still in the testing stage.

The ministry is cooperating with the education and interior ministries to warn people about the outbreak and destroy mosquitos' breeding places, such as pools of still water in garbage dumps, Saravudh said.

The Health Ministry is concerned as well about an upsurge of malaria because of the early rains. They are also concerned because migrant workers, including illegal aliens, appear to be spreading the disease from the border areas where it is traditionally found to cities and other areas deeper inside the country.

Copyright 2001 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

[ June 28, 2001: Message edited by: Boo Radley ]

Boo Radley

Quoted by Boo Radley:-

Does anyone know - once you've had Dengue fever, are you immune to contracting it again?

Boo, I'm afraid not, there are many different strains so each one is like a seperate disease. Most of the fatal cases are multi-strain infections. One dose of a particular strain we can usually fight off but two or more take their toll.

The Dengue haemorraghic fever strain is the worst, bleeding from the pores of the skin, the eyes, ears, internally,... everywhere. This coupled with the deep pain "inside" your limbs, doesn't sound a pleasant way to spend a week. The old name for it was "break-bone fever".

The best you can hope for is that you develop a mild form and the antibodies will then lessen any subsequent attacks.

However good news is, if you never get bitten you cannot catch it, so good mozzie protection and a squirt of deet if you have to be outside. Since visiting a colleague of my GF's who was suffering from DHF I have installed a mosquito net over the bed.

However good news is, if you never get bitten you cannot catch it, so good mozzie protection and a squirt of deet if you have to be outside. Since visiting a colleague of my GF's who was suffering from DHF I have installed a mosquito net over the bed.

Can you tell me more about this 'squirt of deet" please. I got bitten by mozzies last time. I never did see the little beggers but that didn't stop them from biting me - especially at night or so It seemed. I'm going back to Pattaya in September - is that a bad time to go? Whats the weather like in Pattay that time of the year??

Thanks.

Hamokhamok

Quoted by Hamokhamok:-

"Can you tell me more about this 'squirt of deet" please. I got bitten by mozzies last time. I never did see the little beggers but that didn't stop them from biting me - especially at night or so It seemed."

Deet is the short name for Diethyl Toluamide it is considered by many to be the most effective insect repellant available. Boots the Chemist do a reasonable priced range which contains 20% Deet.

I see you are in Ireland, if you can get "Lifesystems" products there, they do a non-aerosol pump dispenser of 95% Deet. It's called "Lifesystems Expedition 100 Insect Repellant". I use this sprayed onto a hat and it does the trick.

Mosquitos are more active at night especially just as the sun goes down. Bad news is that Dengue fever is carried by a day flying variety. So if they trouble you, and some people seem to attract them more than others, use some form of repellant daytime too.

[ June 29, 2001: Message edited by: coquetislander ]

quote:

Originally posted by robaus:

Just got out of 4 days in hospital yesterday. Came down with Dengue Fever after a trip to Buriram 10 days ago, although the doc said I could have caught it from a mozzie anywhere.High fever, splitting headache that won't go away, aching all over, no appetite. Then you break out in a rash all over your body, which then turns itchy. Still feeling lousy. From brief research on internet, up to 5% fatal.

I do not know the exact figures, but mortality is mainly due when you have the hemorrhagic type. As far as I know, this mainly or almost exclusively occurs in children. This risk of death in healthy adults should not reach your 5 % rate. Dengue fever can be followed for some time by feeling lousy and under the weather, like you describe.

Archived