problem getting drivers license

thalenoi

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
suadum said:

Good to hear you haven't been blown up! I just did mine (first one since I let the old one lapse five+ years ago) and I'll tell you all about it over some Black-sos. When you back?

Cheers,

SD

Looking forward to it mate. Back in BKK either this Thursday or the next - will PM you the details.

cheers,

Kwai

gregchambers said:

bet u that embassy will charge more than 1k for address confirmation - nasty but should have gone with the flow.

10 euro, will indeed cost me more with the Bankok hassle than the 1000 baht tea money, but the gf also courageousely refused to pay the 500 baht to get her motorcycle license, in stead she went through a full day of tests and neede to pass her exam a second time the same day....

I don't see why governement employees should get away with their stinky tricks...maybe Toxin should pay them better?

btw, its sticky hot here up in Issaan...

LOL, the bureau at Mochit here in Bangkok were incorruptable. Wifey & I did not want to wait around and she tried to pay off a couple of people with B1K notes (time was more valuable than money that day) to just issue the license without waiting/test taking. But no takers!

Be careful what you wish for...you just may get it!

Cheers,

SD

Not only was it a color blind test, but it was done at an angle and only a flash as they were trying to replicate one going through an interesection before getting clobbered. I guess they realize guys don't stop regardless of color....

So the angle was so severe that it was left or right of my glasses' field of vision so i had to cheat by having my gf hit me if i as wrong so i could give the correct answer immediately.

This is TIT...

CB

A couple of interesting points I live with a TG (In Pattaya ) that has no License and never has had one When I questioned her about how smart it is to be driving with out one she said that in the 10 years she has been stopped a couple of times only and 100 Baht and away she went.

I have a friend here for 3 months rented A Motorbike No License also he parked it in front of Royal Garden and it gotten taken because of a no parking zone he was in.

Went to the Police station on beach road to pay fine and pick it up They asked for 600 Baht fine and nothing else

No License

No Passport or other ID

No Rental agreement

My TG is wanting a new Yamaha Mio I went in to get some info and was told I could purchase with cash no License.

A Expat Friend living here also swears by Insurance and having it I under stand but when I asked him about the cost for insurance for 1 year for his Yamaha he said 350 Baht per year

Am I to believe that they will replace his Motorbike if it is stolen or pay a victim the big money if he is at fault in a bad wreck ? Hard to believe for a 350 policy they would pay very much out.

Correct me if I am wrong and I am not saying to not get a license I am saying that baised on things I have seen Seem like more trouble that it is worth. ::

IMHO, the biggest reason to get a license is that the Old Bill will accept that as proof of ID, therefore you do not need to carry your passport to be legal in those Mystique & Q-Bar raids!

But if you drive a lot and own a car and/or motorcycle you are better off getting it(them). It really is painless. It took me a total of three hours (including a motocy written & road test) to get them both.

Cheers,

SD

...'Got " receipt of notification" from Phuket immigration stating my adress'

***Last year I went to BKK for an IDL, as my license in the States had expired. I do have Thai driver's licenses.

I also had a hitch as the 'proof of residency' letter, which I presented, which I'd obtained fro the Pattaya Immigration office...was a photocopy I'd made....and they wanted only the

original. I pleaded that I was due to catch a plane in a few hours and they relented without ever indicating suggesting I offer a bribe.

Archived