problem getting drivers license

thalenoi

been in thai now for 9 months my TG went home to xxxxxxburi as she had lost her license i asked her to see what i would need to get a license in her home town she asked the guy just said bring in your passport pay money :-) next time i go i will do so. hope it is just like he said anyway i will report on this

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Primo: No, a rental contract is not acceptable. ONLY the form from your embassy is acceptable to them (at least at the Mochit branch here in Bangers).

Packy: IDL in the US are gotten from any AAA office. US$10 plus a couple of visa photos I think. I seem to remember that they are only good for 1 year. I do not see them as being very useful tho' unless the specific country and/or car rent place requires it. IDLs are not a license by themselves. They are simply a translation of your existing home country driver's license.

Cheers,

SD

beside all the banter...I'll spr you with my sorte into the Thai DL quest.

If you live in Phuket and that is your LEGAL address

http://www.phuketdir.com/pkttransport/ will get you the info. Next year, before Songkran but will go to the Phuket office ragther than out on Suk 101 in BKK. Oh, don't forget you will get a 5 year on e second application.....We are talking about a gent with an Long Stay O-A..visa..I gather a Woirk Permit is a differnent deal....check that site. I can't say for HKT but in BKK a Suk 101 there was a nice lady whom did the receptionist thingo in English. I didn't need "Thai Friend" as is known. Why did I get a Thai DL, my Thai lawyer recommended it as an attribute to cheaper Thai insurance which I will be getting before Thai New Year!

BTW K. Suadum's note on the birbe issue is the same elsewhere. I offered 1,000 Baht for a 5 year lic whilst getting my first one and the answer was......NOT!

Also be aware that while a couple of guys have recently gotten the 5 year model on the renewal, I was told that farang licenses were only issued for the duration of the visa, meaning 1 year at a time.

Or maybe the gal I spoke to there did not know and made that up? Who really knows?

Cheers,

SD

I got my five-year license last year in the office near Pattaya (near the Regent's school on Highway 36). I believe I needed to prove I had a work permit, but I'm not 100% sure. I have had a license for about 5 years, which I originally got in Bangkok. I renewed it every year until last year when I got the 5-year license in the Pattaya-area office.

For that office, proof of residency can be a letter from immigration, which as far as I remember costs 200 baht at the Pattaya immigration office, and that is a lot cheaper than the notary fee at the US embassy. I had to get one when I moved down here.

Hope this helps someone.

"insurance for 1 year for his Yamaha he said 350 Baht per year"

That is the mandatory liability insurance required to license the motorbike. As I recall, the liability limits are pretty small. It does not cover losses to the owner of the motorbike (unless, maybe he gets run over by his own bike:) )

I know a retired fellow (name upon request), who stays on 1 year renewable visas, who got his residence certificate from the police. The immigration people gave him a for that he took to the police station. At the police station, he was directed to a detective who asked "How do I know you live here?" He gave the phone number of the office at his conominium, and the detective confirmed his residency over the telephone.

Archived