The New Google Earth - Absolutely Staggering

John_Betong

I would think google has to pay someone for the info,

so if anything gets updated it probably has to do with what area gets the most number of hits.

I doubt there is any new info ( if anything at all ) of the middle of the Pacific ocean etc

OC

PS.....found my house , glad its not any better resolution so you cannot see the junk in the yard :)

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey, Google just gets its info from 'commercial and public sources'. So it can be accessed anyway if it is already in the public domain. What's the fuss?

Not all imagery is high resolution, and most of the sensitive places have been blurred out. If someone wanted to use this for subversive activities, wouldn't it be easier to use a readily available GPS receiver for pinpoint accuracy?

The question would be, why do the 'PIP'(people-in-power) feel that only a select few should have access to what they feel should be restricted data? The images are at least two years old, anyway.

I remember not too long ago when there were tanks in central Bangkok. All the local media had been shut down, but I was one of the few who had a C-band satellite system back then, so we were quite aware of the situation.

As an aside, C-band is not allowed in Sillypore... it can't be regulated. :rolleyes:

In my section of BKK, they have transposed a large rectangle containing one end of my street with a large rectangle containing a chunk of the adjacent park!

Most areas of the world are low rez. Many are higher rez- hence the blurriness of some sections.

D.C., in the States, has computer generated 3-D of buildings. There is no fine detail of the White House. Security?

Anyway, thought the mistake at Victory Monument is pretty interesting.

Archived