The End of 911 ?

BadaBing

I'm only posting this as , even I just noticed that about 8 hours from now ( this post ) the first plane was roaring towards it's target. Years past , the days leading up to Sept 11 , we here in the U.S. were repeatedly reminded of this event. The media here has clearly been obsessed with Katrina and her victims. I have not seen or heared about 9-11

Does one horrific event cancel out the memory of another ?

Apparently so ... or so says the media :rolleyes:

BadaBing

Iwas at a quiz that night, LG was there, not sure who else.

DarLek was expecting JingJoe and had gone off to have a foot massage.

(Oddly we are expecting no2 in a few weeks time)

She came back to say "Something bad with plane and big building in America happen" but no more info.

The quiz master knew very little but was waiting for half time to tell us more other than, "Something's happened"

We went through the quiz then I came back to our old flat and watched with out noise (Thai coverage - so I turned sound off) with great sadness people jumping off a building rather than die burning.

DOG

there has been a series of articles in one of the UK Newspapers this Week.

mainly talking about the battle going on between People who promised to build a new Building in Memory of the event.

it seems the Foundation Stone was laid and then the wrangling began.

i was in a Bar in Patong that Night and watched it on the TV as it evolved.

when the 2nd Plane hit we all assumed it was different Film of the 1st Palne.

took a while to register that it was 2 Planes.

Thank God the press is ignoring it, because the Bush administration is sinking to new lows in exploiting 911 to boost its poll numbers. Fucking disgusting! :nono:

Join Pentagon's 'Freedom Walk' - Get Fake Dog Tags

freedomwalk_dogtags-760229.jpg

The controversial Pentagon-sponsored Freedom Walk to be held in DC on September 11 is clearly being used to gin up sagging public support for the continued, costly, bloody US military presence in Iraq.

It's an administration tactic that's worked before.

Conflate 9/11 and Iraq in the public mind. The rubes will buy it.

Of course giving out "toy" dog tags to be worn by attendees (all attendees must pre-register and obey the strict rules of the "freedom" walk - or else) takes hucksterism to a new level of crass. But then this administration has never stopped at crass.

As for the toy ID tags, they'll be as close as attending chickenhawks are ever likely to get to the real article.

You know, the tags worn by real GIs who face the kinds of horrors the Yellow Elephant crowd can only imagine.

++++++++++

And from my buddy the Rude Pundit:

9/9/2005

The Pentagon's Fourth Anniversary of 9/11 Spectacular: Freedom Walks, Bullshit Talks:

Sweet fuckin' mercies, what a mighty celebration of 9/11 they're a-gonna have this weekend in D.C. It'll be a hootenanny, a clambake, baby, an end-of-summer hoedown, or, as the Pentagon puts it, "the opportunity to remember the victims of September 11, honor our American servicemen and women, past and present, and commemorate our freedom." One might think that every day we wake up in America is a commemoration of our "freedom," but perhaps in these Patriotic Actic times, it's best to think of freedom with the same sense as Princess Di's picture on a Franklin Mint plate.

There'll be 3,000 to 10,000 people taking part in the "Freedom Walk," and, oh-ho, what irony with which the event has been named, considering that "organizers...are taking extraordinary measures to control participation in the march and concert, with the route fenced off and lined with police and the event closed to anyone who does not register online by 4:30 p.m. today." Actually, the time is 10 a.m., but, hey, if you can't punk the Washington Post, who can you punk? And your reward for takin' that hike from the Pentagon to the National Mall is a concert by lovable nationalist Clint Black, whose cowboy hat and country/western stylings are sure to attract a mesmerizing rainbow of skin colors in the audience, from pasty-faced to red-necked. Nothin' says "we remember you, men and women who leapt or burned or suffocated or were crushed to death" better than Clint Black wailin' his tunes "No Time To Kill" and "Burn One Down."

Then, as Black sings his final song, "Iraq and Roll," with its condemnation of the protesters who'll no doubt be herded into a small gated area to assure maximum freedom of speech, the real fun'll begin for the patriots in attendance...

Regards,

SD

There were some modest remembrance ceremonies in NYC, but those of us who were in Lower Manhattan that day won't forgot 9/11, with or without media attention. I was stepping into a cab about half a mile from the World Trade center when the first plane hit. I dodn't see the impact, but looked up a split second after.The cab driver got scared and wouldn't drive any closer, even though the initial reaction on the street was fairly subdued. Everyone assumed a helicopter or light plane had hit one of the towers by accident - that had been talked about for years. It wasn't until the second plane hit that people thought 'terrorist attack' and panic broke out. But what amazed me was how quickly everyone pulled together. I was recovering from knee surgery and walking heavily with a cane. Many, many strangers offered me assistance. I finally got a lift back to my apartment from some young guys in a lowrider. Even their pitbull was friendly that day.

suadum said:

Thank God the press is ignoring it, because the Bush administration is sinking to new lows in exploiting 911 to boost its poll numbers. Fucking disgusting! :nono:

SD

The press isn't ignoring it; nor are most TV channels, network AND cable. Many special programs produced just for the day. And I am quite certain that if the Bush administration did ignore the anniversay, you'd probably have something nice to say about that.

I'm only guessing that the tripe scribed by your "buddy" would be quite offensive to the next of kin of those who died in the massacre. To borrow a phrase, "fucking disgusting".

HH (mak)

Archived