Why not make them go to school? Sheesh!!!

Monsieur,

I know of a person who started to provide funds for the education of 25 children 4 years back in the Klong Thoey slums. There should now be 25 boys and girls in primary 4 if I am not totally wrong. Funds were for uniform , 3 daily meals , and heaven knows what other expenses. All should be fine one thinks because previously mentioned person ( Jai dee mak ) guaranteed funding education til they win the Nobel prize but life is hard. Of said 25 children according to the latest 2004 report 16 are left.

7 are gone due to " The child has quit school to help his/her family earn income " .

2 are gone due to " Parents could not pay back loan to other person and left Bangkok " .

Nuff said.

BuBi

Reminds me of my father sending money to a Christian charity in Taiwan for years to support a poor girl's education. One day, he got a letter from the Catholic priest saying that the girl's parents had taken her out of school to go to work. Think she must have been all of 13 or 14. You can only do so much.

thalenoi said:

If the issue is money, I will pay for the boys education...shit :cussing:

Maybe this is the only way.....at least you can sleep well in the knowledge that you have given the kid a chance to get a start in life...

Experienced the same situation a couple of years back.

Wife's 12 - 13 y.o. neice (up in Issaan) was always top of her class and a really good kid to boot. Always perfectly behaved and a big help to "Grandma".

Parents are both no hoper, piss head, arseholes...no other words for it. Basically told the kid....no money, so no more school......get a job and provide us with booze money...WTF !!

Kid now lives with Grandma and we send money to pay for all schooling. Money is controlled by an Auntie (wife's sister) and the Parents get nowhere near it.

Have told her she can stay at school at least until she is a Doctor or Lawyer....up to her !!!! and we will continue to support her.

I will walk over broken glass if I have to, to ensure she gets a good start. As long as I live, this little "princess" will most definitely not follow the footsteps of many Issaan farmers daughters...... not that I often overly object to their choice of career or make moral judgements.......but at the very least, this one will have the luxury of choice.

Chock dee Dumsoda :yeahthat:

Archived