Tipping in the Bars

The_Munchmaster

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am probably guilty of overtipping in Thailand, I normally leave at least 100 baht after a couple of rounds. I don't mind tipping in places like Thailand because it is basically down to the cutomer whether or not he tips and how much he leaves, on the other hand I absolutely detest having to tip in the US particularly when the cheeky bastards have given crap service and still write "suggested gratuity" on the bill. :(

In the bars, I generally leave the coins in the tray. I know they give 20 baht or so extra in coins to persuade you to do this, and I'm okay with that. What I don't like is getting 50 or 60 baht in coins back (AngelWitch is bad about that), with an expectation that you'll lave them all. Then, I take all but 2.

sakoni2002 said:

I know for a fact that in Beer Garden Soi7, all the tips go in a kitty and at the end of the shift, it is equally divided amongst the staff!!

this might be the case for Beer Garden, but in many other bars, the owner cashes in the tips if left on the tab. and i have not come across any bar that let the waitress take the tip personally if left on the tap.

i worked out very quickly their idea of coins on the tray.

1 note and 10 coins resulted in me taking everything and smiled as i walked out.

i let be known in my regular Bars that if the selection of notes and coins was somewhat roughly equal than i would choose what to leave.

after that i was treated differently and had a nice selection to chose from.

but then again i probably started to leave too much.

samak said:

yes i do tip, but i tip not related to the change on the tab. i prefer to give tips directly to the staff as too many greedy bar owners keep the "tips" if they are on the tab!

Tend to do the same.

My understanding is that in *most* places, any tips put onto the tray are pooled and divided amongst the staff (or snaffled by the tight arsed managemant.)

But, if you give the tip directly into the hand of the dek serve, they are allowed to keep it ALL, as it is a direct tip to them personally.

Usually tip anywhere between 20 - 100 baht, depending on the Beer goggles, if I already have company and how cute & tempting is the waitress....LOL...

Chock dee Dumsoda :beer: :beer:

Archived