Gout

packy

If there be any secrets of Asia that involve the treatment of Gout, please forward it to me. Gout is a crirpling disease that troubles less than 1% of the people of the world. Your feet can turn red, or even in severe cases will turn black from a serious case of gout. It is caused from high uric acid content. The uric acid crystalizes in the joints, then the joint becomes unmovalble, it generally shows up in the right big toe first. But it can infect any or all joints in the body. Any home remedies, or jungle remedies would be appreciated. I'm dead serious about this. It is keeping me from a trip to Pattaya!

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was told that I have high uric acid count but I have never had any gout problem. You might already be aware of the foods that cause gout problems but I wasn't so I list it below. Foods rich in purine metabollizes from proteins into uric acid that reside in body joints that is called gout.

Foods to eat when you are having a gout attack (Food free from Purines: butter, cheese, cream, fruits, honey, jam, marmalade, milk, sugar and vegetable soups. During an acute attack you are supposed to eat only these foods.

Alcohol allowed: White wine except champagne, ciders and spirits in moderation.

Forbidden Foods: fruits, asparagus, mushrooms, spinach, beets, peas, beans, wholemeal bread, any winged animals (birds), internal organs (liver kidney, etc), hot soups, meat extractives, shell fish, white bait herrings,sardines, sprate, fish roe.

Beverages to be drunk in moderation only: Cocoa, coffee, chocolate, tea.

Alcohol drinks to avoid: Red wine, champagne all malt liquors such as beer and stout.

I hope this helps. I suffer from a hereditary form of gout, my father and grandfather had it too, but mostly I've been able to keep it in check through watching my diet.

Exert from Arthritis Today:

The primary dietary modification traditionally recommended is a low-purine diet. Avoiding purines completely is impossible, but strive to limit them. People with gout should learn by trial and error what their personal limit is and which foods cause problems.

Laura Rall, PhD, nutrition researcher at Tufts University in Boston, says, "Begin by eliminating foods in the 'high-purine' category, while reducing your intake of foods in the 'moderate-purine' category. If you don't have gout attacks after trying this, you may add more foods from the 'moderate' category, or occasionally try a food from the 'high' category. Using these guidelines, you may be able to determine a safe level of purine consumption and enjoy some of your favorite foods without experiencing attacks."

Foods considered high in purine content include:

Alcoholic beverages (all types).

Some fish, seafood and shellfish, including anchovies, sardines, herring, mussels, codfish, scallops, trout and haddock.

Some meats, such as bacon, turkey, veal, venison and organ meats like liver.

Foods considered moderate in purine content include:

Meats such as beef, chicken, duck, pork and ham.

Crab, lobster, oysters and shrimp.

Vegetables and beans such as asparagus, kidney beans, lentils, lima beans, mushrooms and spinach.

http://www.arthritis.org/resources/arthritistoday/2003_archives/2003_09_10_oncall_p4.asp

Well, everything points to my diet. I can save money on groceries. But I really don't know much that I can eat. If I survive the diet. But that is what I have to do. I eat too much beef, chicken, and I love chicken livers. So Beef and chicken livers are gone. I'll go back on my ulcer diet short of the broths, asparagus. Hope I don'y develop the Rabbit Habit, you know three strokes and you are off.555555555

I was hoping that someone had an unproved home remedy, right now I think I would almost try anything, short of elephant dung tea.

Funny thing, I was reading a book by Adelle Davis (well-known nutritionist in the US) and there was a chapter on this.

She states, 'Because a low-purine diet was drilled into us so thoroughly during dietics training, I formerly recommended it, though I have never known any person adhering to it to recover quickly despite the many excellent foods allowed.'

Then,

'Perhaps 25 years ago, a woman told me prodly that she had given her husband, who had gout, large amounts of yeast and liver. "That's exactly what you mustn't do!" I exclaimed in alarm. "But he's well for the first time in years," she answered.'

She continues, 'Since this incident, I have refused to plan a low-purine diet. Not only do the stress and pain of gout quickly exhaust the adrenals, but also inflamation (caused by the uric-acid crystals) invariably indicates that too little cortisone is being produced. Giving cortisone for this disease has proved to be of great value. The dietary approach, therefore, must be to help the adrenals produce cortisone by eating large amounts of liver, yeast, wheat germ, yogurt or acidiphilus, and green leafy vegetables; and by taking the antistress formula (p. 31) around the clock during the acute stage. Usually such a diet brings marked improvement in two or three days. Persons fearful of deviating from a low-purine diet should at least obtain generous supplements of all vitamins, especially of vitamin E and the B group.'

And finally,

'A urine made alkaline by a high intake of fruits, vegetables and juices, particularly orange juice, helps keep the uric-acid crystals in solution and to facilitate their excretion. During gout attacks 3 quarts of liquid daily are recommended to carry off the uric-acid crystals, but recovery is more rapid if juices and milk are drunk instead of water. Although any food can be eaten provided it builds health, incomplete proteins such as corn, dry beans, lentils and cereals should be taken only with milk, eggs, cheese and/or meats, to prevent an amino-acid imbalance.'

The exercpts are taken from the book 'Let's Get Well' by Adelle Davis, first published in 1972.

Hope that helps.

The antistress formula

'During acute illness, take with each meal, between each meal, before going to sleep, and approximately every three hours during the night if awake, always with fortified milk* to supply the necessary protein, 500 milligrams of vitamin C, 100 milligrams of panthothenic acid, and at least 2 milligrams each of vitamins B2 and B6. These vitamins can be obtained seperately or in a single tablet. They should be continued until improvement is marked. As soon as the acute stage has passed, reduce the amounts.'

Fortified milk

'Tissues can rebuild at maximum speed only when all nutrients are supplied at one time; hence this drink - a friend calls it the sorcerer's potion - is an attempt to meet that need. It can be made with a variety of ingredients, however, and should be adjusted to your own taste buds. Combine and blend in a liquifier or with an electric mixer or egg beater:

2 egg yolks or whole eggs

1 tablespoon each lecithin and mixed vegetable oils

1.5 teaspoons calcium lactate or 4 teaspoons calcium gluconate

half teaspoon magnesium oxide

quarter cup yogurt or 1 tablespoon acidophilus culture

1 teaspoon granular kelp (optional)

When thoroughly beaten, add:

1 to 2 cups whole or skim milk

quarter to half cup yeast fortified with calcium

quarter to half cup non-instant powdered milk

quarter cup soy flour or powder

quarter cup wheat germ (optional)

Nutmeg or 1 teaspoon pure vanilla

half cup frozen undiluted orange juice

Pour into a container and add the remainder of the quart of milk;over and keep refrigerated. Stir each time before using.'

The title of the book is

Let's Get Well

by Adelle Davis

ISBN 0-451-14732-4

If you're lucky your local library may just have a copy.

Hope you get well soon.

Archived