Gout

packy

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really wouldn't know what it tastes like, haven't had to try it yet. As I said in my PM to you, I'm not into 'chemical' type western medicines unless absolutely necessary. The herbal stuff (aside from the regular vitamins) seem to keep me well away from the chemical cocktail you've been prescribed. There seems to be a 'back-to-natural' type medicines thing going on in Thailand just now, I'm still on a learning curve. I guess at fifty I still don't need these chemical cocktails yet. Fingers, toes and eyes crossed... :)

Still enjoy my beers, too, though somewhat limited most days by choice.

Guess you have not been to see a doc? I've been on and off on meds for the last 10 years for gout. The biggest culprit of course is alcohol. The problems with these medication is that I've always ended up having upset stomach with them. I'm supposed to take them with food which I wasn't doing. So now I take Allopurinol everyday. When I was taking them when I felt like it and not daily, the gout kept coming back. Remember very clearly walking through BKK airport in so much pain. Even after indomithing treatment. BECAUSE. I wasn't not on Allopurinal on a daily basis. Now that I am, I'm running, playing tennis and doing anything I want. Even banged my toe and I'm still fine. I remember when gout would flare up, or have a gout attack just by jamming my toes. My advise to you is for you to go see a doc so that you can be on ALLOPURINAL on a daily basis. If you are in so much pain now, he will likely put you on Colchinine. Do not drink alcohol with this for it will give you the worst runs and stomach discomfort. chok dii. EEE

I swore off alcohol years ago. Indothing, Can't take because of blood pressure medicine. Colchicine, Take every three hours as well as allopurinol every day. But as I sat here typing this, my feet feel as if they are sunburnt, ache in the joints, and when I get up tomorrow morning, my toes will be swollen so tightly together that they look like one toe with wrinkles. Now what seems to be helping, PLAIN OLD CHERRY Juice, reduces purines in your blood stream. It is costly, $18.00 per half gallon, but if you figure out how much it is doing, it is dirt cheap. My meds have come to be a religion with me. I'm putting off coming to Pattaya until I feel as though I can walk to see whatever I want without crutches. I have a set stashed close to where I spend most of my time. My diet seems to have little to no effect on the Gout. I've been eating seafood, chicken, and other foods NOT reccommended with little to no change in my feet. If anything, it is better. That does not make sense to me. I wonder if it has been mis-diagnosed by the DR.

I came down with gout in Thailand a few years back. It sucks having an attack. If your body can handle it, Allopurinol is a medication used to BLOCK uric acid production.

There are some side affects such as skin breaking out that are quite common. Go see a doctor is best. Allopurinol is a preventative medication where as indocin and the such are a response to a flare up.

As Packy mentions, Cherries or Cherry juice is an old "natural" remedy.

U2B

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE:

I think I have found the cause of my GOUT!! I started elimating one food and then the next. I drink about a gallon of sweet Ice Tea everday or did up until 10 days ago. My feet are no longer swelling, The pain is uncomfortable but not so great that I cannot tolerate it and now all I have to do is ease back into tea and if the Gout returns, I'm off it for good.

One of my last few drinks, maybe I'll try beer instead!

• 2 weeks later...

Packy, I have had gout once in a while. If I drink coffee, it brings on the pain. 3-4 cups of coffee will do me in. So what I do is not drink coffee. I have also tried cherry juice but seem to get better results with cranberry juice. Something you might want to look into taking is diclofenac sodium. It can be used for gout and is a real good anti-inflammatory. A strip of ten can be bought for 28 baht. If you need quick relief, use diclofenac potassium which is the same active ingredient but responds almost immedately.

Archived