BUYING A MOTOR BIKE

In fact it isn't so rare, most BIG bikes owned / ridden by thai are not registered, because obtaining registration for grey imports costs upwards of 50,000 baht. They figure the occasional "fine" of 100 B rather than laying out 50K makes sense. Out in the country many small bikes are not registered for much the same reason. Even tho the cost of registering a small machine is only a few hundred baht.

Dakine, the bike will come with two circular stickers. One is the compulsory year's (third party) insurance for a couple of hundred baht and the other is the road tax for a hundred baht or so. The dealer will sort this out for you BUT you may have to wait for the number plate to be issued. In theory, should take a day in Bangkok with anything up to three months in the provinces -only a problem if buying new. You can ride without the numberplate but it is then down to the whim of the cops whether or not they extract money from you. BTW, the third party insurance is machine specific and will cover whoever rides the bike as long as they have a valid driving licence.

The reason dealers can be tardy with the numberplate issue is that they don't hand the money over to the distributors until the bike is officially registered and the plate issued, so some arm twisting may be in order.

Thanks K. Gregg :D..That is even a better ans that those above. good job. See many people like to run up their post count with non sense...Look at this mouth swill from Fatso...This thread is about Motor Bike's not Big Bikes and that termo is specific to LOS and this is a LOS board so.......more post buffering.....Thanks again Gregg......I do appreciate hearing from someone whom has a good answer and not just clicking to see themselves in print....

I used to abbreviate thank you in Thai until some wanker compained about KKK ( Kop Koon Krap) having another meaning...Not in LOS I say, They don't even have crosses to burn! ::

My Darling is rather young :o ( mommie has to sign for her passport) so I want to know the 411 on such deals. ::

Khao Jai? I knew you would!

KKK

DaKine

This thread is about Motor Bike's not Big Bikes and that termo is specific to LOS and this is a LOS board so.......more post buffering

I do not know if you are also someone who changes logins on a fairly regular basis as well (I would get depressed looking at my total posts here :o), but I will assume you are not.......... the thread STARTED off as you said, but they do have a tendency here to head off in a different direction to what the OP wanted.......... usually (but not always!) adding a bit of info along the way, which folk think may be useful to other folk.

Sometimes it can take a bit of perserverence, but 99% of the time folk come up trumps........... given time :D

BTW I would also have mentioned what part of the LOS you were talking about. ::

• 3 weeks later...

On the subject of Insureance.

There are two types.

The compulsory Government insureance which covers Thais for medical, not Frangs for anything apart from not being fined for not having the compulsory cover.

The Proper Cover as obtained for Cars.

It is extreamly hard/immpossible to obtain Proper Full cover.

BMW do offer it with a new bike via a Thai company, who will not issue a policy for non BMW bikes.

Some Life Assurance companies offer a form of cover mainly medical no damage cover for your bike. I tried to obtain a policy document for inspection by my Lawyer but the company would nor provied.

My lawyer was incredulous at the thought of me wanting cover, No One has such.

Then I mentioned third party liability and she entred think mode.

john

Archived