Los Angeles - Cali

Sukhumvit

OK.....I guess my question is why come to California for THai Food ?

I would think looking for good mexican food if you are from the UK,

Are you going to a trade show at the Convention center ?

thats a pretty rough area around there , I would not think about walking around there at night , and be on the look-out during the day,

there is a cool diner a couple blocks north of the convention center that the ex-LA mayor runs , worth a visit

OC

There's a Metro station at the corner of 7th and Fig. From there it is really easy to get to Hollywood (Thaitown) and Universal Studios by subway. Koreatown too, if you want.

Palm Thai and Krung Tedd, on the map provided by Suadum, are decent restaurants, although Palm Thai has relocated further west (exit Hollywood/Vine and walk a few blocks east).

There are some bars in the area as well. I'm not really an expert on the area, but there are some old (now inactive) board members who are, and maybe I can get 'em out for a drink.

I work not far from where you'll be staying, so no problem getting out for a drink or for lunch. PM me and I'll give you my number.

Only problem is that I'll be in BKK sometime during the first two weeks of the month, exact dates not set.

suadum said:

Well, there is Thai Town, an area of LA near Hollywood. I do not know much about it tho'.

Cheers,

SD

That area of Hollywood " might " be ok during the day , but a definate " stay away " at night. I agree with OCG about the Mexican cuisine , Olvera Street is a 10 minute cab from downtown.

http://www.olvera-street.com/

Bada :beer: Bing

Thai Town has a bunch of places. Krueng Tedd is "okay". I ate there a few years ago. Nice atmosphere and it had some nice-looking help also :) I took a couple of Thai ladies there and they liked it. I thought it was over-priced for the yuppies who'd never been to Thailand and thought it was "in" to eat Thai food.

OC Gringo is right...not the best part of the city, but Hollywood is a shit place anyway. Lost it's glow about 40 years ago. Most of the "shooting galleries" have been torn down, but still some "street people" in the area that are a bit dodgy.

Re Olvera Street. It's about as long as Soi Cowboy. Fun for most "out of towners". Take a cab from your hotel. Oldest buildings in the city. Highly recommend El Paseo for Mexican food. La Goldendrina is good for food also. (One of my former secretaries used to dance there at night; no...not go-go--classic Mexican dancing).

Chinatown is about a block from Olvera Street. Both are good places to hit on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon/evening...combine them.

Venice is a ways from downtown, as you probably know. Not close to Thai Town or Olvera Street/Chinatown.

USVirgin recommends a place in East LA. Wouldn't recommend a "rookie" go there, especially at night. Easy to get into the wrong area fast.

HH

Guest lazyphil

San Francisco is around 400 miles away from Los Angeles. Is this considored local in America?!....We went to a Thai restaurant in Chicago staffed by Philipinos ::

If you do not have a car then getting around LA is almost impossible,

Olvera Street and Chinatown are the other side of Downtown from where you are , only a few miles by Taxi.

You can take the train from union station down to Orange County,

or the blue line back towards the airport (2 lines in LA, one goes south to Long Beach, one east-west to the airport area, ohh maybe a a new line to Pasadena)

Or a bus ........well maybe not the bus.....

Wilshire is downtown , if you take the right bus it might go all the way to Santa Monica......

Hope some of this helps

OC

Archived