Thailand goes on full terror alert

Old Hippie

¶ BANGKOK (AP)--Gunmen in a pickup truck and motorcycles shot dead five soldiers at a military outpost Wednesday evening in the southern Thai province of Narathiwat, a Thai Army spokesman said.

¶ Initial reports had four soldiers killed, but the number has since been updated.

¶ Two other soldiers at the outpost were killed, said Col. Somkuan Saengpataranetr.

¶ The attackers, presumed to be Islamic insurgents who are active in the area, shot the men with assault rifles and then escaped, laying metal spikes and logs on the road to thwart pursuers, he said.

¶ The victims were members of the paramilitary Ranger force, as were four other soldiers killed in an ambush last week in nearby Yala province.

·-0-

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
suadum said:

Here in Jarkarta, one cannot enter any shopping center/hotel/industrial park/etc. without having your car inspected by a guy with a mirror on a stick, and another who oipens the door to look inside and opens the trunk (boot) too. Inside shopping malls and hotels are security checkpoints manned with guys with metal detector wands stopping those who look out of place. And this is in a far suburb of Jakarta (Tangerang/Serpong/BSD City), not downtown.

Dunno if it is effective, but it does have a "feel good" thing about it.

yeh, very detailed search, good thing the bad guys would never take the time to hide their "goods" inside the back seat/.

maybe most security measuers are just to make ppl feel secure

Guest lazyphil

I'm not sure if USAF personel from Lakenheath and Mildenhall are allowed in central London now, they were banned after London bombings in July, was considored too risky :(

When I took a taxi to the BKK Westin last year, we pulled around back for the first time. Usually I have the driver drop me at the front door. A guard was present and stopped the car before allowing us to proceed. He made the taxi driver open the trunk; I got out, making sure none of my belongings "fell out" and also ran a mirror underneath the car for a visual inspection.

I?m not sure if this is standard operating procedure or if there was something going on at the hotel that required beefed up security.

"and also ran a mirror underneath the car for a visual inspection."

It seems a lot of big hotels, at least along Sukhumvit, are doing the mirror on a stick routine intermittently. Of course any skilled person with evil intent will not place a device where it is likely to be discovered. The chance of the security people finding a bomb during an inspection is far lower than the chance of the car blowing up during the inspection. Think about it. They have to do the inspections -to not do so would be negligence, but they little little if any security. IMHO.

Flashermac said:

There was a policeman gunned down earlier this week. A taxi driver told me the murdered cop was a Muslim himself! Clearly the issue is power, not religion. The Muslims down south have complete religious freedom already.

yes, definitly about power, I've yet to see one of the religious "advisors" killed while carrying out some of the dirty work.

its amazing how easily their stooges can be douped into doing the dirty work

BrownFox77-

"Have heard that Thai Intelligence is very good although can't imagine them having the manpower to keep track of every visitor?"

Thai intelligence is exceptionally good with resources that would amaze many on this board.

This is in large part the reason that we have been somewhat inmune from the problems in the south.

Hope this immunity continues.

Archived