Thailand goes on full terror alert

Old Hippie

"Thai intelligence is exceptionally good with resources that would amaze many on this board. "

I can second that. - I've met a couple of officers in my time - no trouble to me though, just aquaintances. One offered to track down a BG I was still lusting after from years earlier. :o) I declined.

Cheers

Coss

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have heard that Thai Intelligence is very good although can't imagine them having the manpower to keep track of every visitor?"

better than the BG telegraph system?

Thai intelligence may be good, but I feel much better if I can see that real efforts are being made to prevent terrorists, suicide bombers, car/motorcycle bombers et al from getting to their targets. Jakarta's vigilance is good. Even better is in Manila, where everyone wanting to ride the light rail transit system must have their bags and packs opened and checked, as well as a patdown for strapped-on explosives. I wish, and have suggested to Bkk. Metro, that similar methods be employed here. The MRT subway especially has lots of security guys and gals basically standing around doing nothing.

Wait, I take that back. This evening I just missed my train. I was tired, knew that I had 7 minutes to wait for the next train, so I sat down on the floor, back resting comfortably against a wall, and read a book. Within a couple minutes, no less than three of these security guards had surrounded me, telling me that I must not sit and to get up immediately. Wondering what security threat I was causing by sitting down (there are no seats of any kind in MRT stations) I stood up. They watched me carefully until the train came and I got on.

Contrast that useless vigilance with the wide-open entrance to Nana Plaza, and the many motorcycles parked inside. The pathetic little barrier with the No Motorcycle Parking sign on it is always pushed to the side and ignored. Though I used to go to Nana often, now I seldom do as I feel very vulnerable while in that firetrap. I know I'm not the only former regular customer who takes his business elsewhere now. I would go back if the Thais would rely a little less on their "intelligence" and a little more on active, visible security measures and physical barriers to bombers.

Archived