Thailand goes on full terror alert

Old Hippie

"...Maybe when scholars look back on this time from far in the future, they will learn some lessons about what it takes for people to live in harmony, but as long as there are some who place importance on telling others how to live their lives, there will be no rest. And sadly, this applies equally to both sides of the disagreement..."

Scholars? in Politics? :) I do kind of see your thoughts here dude...but sadly, you could give them the whole south, and they still wouldn't be happy, they'd want more, or retribution for passt injustice, etc...same if you just gave palistine back, that alone wouldn't solve the problems. Some guys are just hell bent on killing and war...

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seems anything mr T does in any area is met with only negative reactions by farangs who seem to think they have a better idea of how to run the country. I would have thought that a heightend awareness of possible threat would be seen as a sensible reaction.

You are absolutely right. The farang penchant for bitching moaning and denigrating everything and everyone is relentless. And then they can't understand why the thais don't pay them much attention. ::

I'm due to fly back to LOS in just over a month, not the 1st time I've been there during a terrorist alert.

I was in Pattaya right after 9/11 and at the time there were Soldiers walking around or posted in the various GoGo areas carrying M16's with banana clips - a nice show of force anyway.

Its what you can't see that's also interesting: I'll never forget the young "teenaged" looking Thai guy wearing typical "street clothers" that stopped me as I walked by on Beach Rd - very polite and spoke near pefect english, showed me his badge, he was undercover Mib - absolutely would have never guessed in a million years. Still wonder how it was he happened to know I was an Amerigun...

chocolat steve said:

Okay, they're on terror alert. So what? What does than entail? How is the country any safer from the alert? Are they supposed to look at people with southern accented Thai carrying suspicious packages on busses or the sky train or going into bars?

Lets hope so...

"Are they supposed to look at people with southern accented Thai carrying suspicious packages on busses or the sky train or going into bars? "

suspicious to me would be a scruffy character carrying a bag from an upscale shopping venue

liquidflux said:

Just curious, but what did the undercover guy stop you for?

LF,

Was a rather too fast encounter which is fully my own fault - I'd been pestered so much by those Time Share people in Pattaya that almost on 'automatic' I smiled and said "No Thanks" and kept walking as he started talking to me showing me his badge/ID - whereupon I realized what the ID was he was showing me and I stopped to say sorry but he was already chuckling over it, apparently understanding.

Said he just wanted to know if I had any problems during my stay and if I had any questions about anything. I was still a bit on the "automatic" Time Share people get away mode, still not in a fully trusting mood, and didn't talk to him but for a few moments and this is something in retrospect I regret. Its not often one gets a chance to make friends with a friendly Thai Mib who spoke english seemingly as well as I.

Could be my imagination but did have the feeling he "knew who I was" already, which could be as by that time I had already made several 4-5 week long trips in Pattaya - could have been feeling me out as a possible "source" or something. Have heard that Thai Intelligence is very good although can't imagine them having the manpower to keep track of every visitor? Never saw him again after that - that I know of... :eek:

Here in Jarkarta, one cannot enter any shopping center/hotel/industrial park/etc. without having your car inspected by a guy with a mirror on a stick, and another who oipens the door to look inside and opens the trunk (boot) too. Inside shopping malls and hotels are security checkpoints manned with guys with metal detector wands stopping those who look out of place. And this is in a far suburb of Jakarta (Tangerang/Serpong/BSD City), not downtown.

Dunno if it is effective, but it does have a "feel good" thing about it.

Cheers,

SD

Archived