It's really rainy season

gummigut

This is the first time living here that I really feel like I'm living in rainy season.

On Monday I had a scare. My soi doesn't flood. Least I never seen it. Then we had a large rainstorm. I walked home as I had an umbrella and when I reached my soi it was under 4 inches of water. Had to slog through that crap. Least there's no leaches in Bangkok sub sois. Least that I konw of!!!

Less than another 1/2 centimeter it would have reached the level of the carport and put that under.

Weird thing was, 20 minutes later all the water was gone! Thankfully!

<<burp>>

You're lucky. The city has greatly improved the drainage system. My soi used to flood -- and stay flooded for days. I'd be going off to work with my trousers rolled up and my shoes and socks in my hand. It was common enough to see cars stalled out in low spots in the roads -- those who were foolish enough to try to drive through them.

But Monday's storm was something. I went out on the balcony and watched the winds whipping the trees around like a hurricane. For a moment I imagined myself in New Orleans! I got a call the next day from a friend who was awakened about 11.30 PM that night by a ka-RUMP and a WHOOSH. He left his bedroom and saw that there was a 4 foot by 2 foot hole in the ceiling over his kitchen. The whole downstairs was flooding!

The downspout couldn't carry the rainwater off fast enough, and the ceiling tiles had shattered.

Oh, yeah ... it is Thursday now and the landlord STILL hasn't patched the damn hole in his roof. TIT

:dunno:

p.s. Ramkhamhaeng U would always flood -- and stay flooded. Bet it did again Monday night. Back in the '80s we called Ramkhamhaeng the "floating university". I've seen Thai kids swimming at the entrance to RU.

An united police razzia couldn't have closed Soi Cowboy bars quicker than the raining. I was smoking outside Old Dutch much longer than anyone else this monday evening - at the time I gave up there was noone to be seen outside anymore. After one hour or so eating it was still raining and I moved up to the pool tables and spent some hours there while the rain went on and on. Late it stopped and I could walk back to my hotel - it was still some 30 cms of water on Soi 23.

Not bad down here in Chumpon, last month had a few days or nights of rain, lately just a sporadic shower.

Two years ago we had two weeks of consecutive rain, similar to London weather, gray days, depressing but warmer. Glad it looks a lot better this year too.

But these hurricanes are on the increase no?

Archived