This is Captain America calling...

racer55

Not sure where to post this so Mods feel free to move it.

So here we all are in the same boat, interested in the cuties across the pond. Nanaplaza has provided us with reams of info on how to approach nightlife, relationships, etc. Now we all have cuties (hey beauty is only a light switch away) over there and contact them regularly via email and telephones. So while I have found out how to avoid investing in sick buffaloes, rice fields, and gold. Hell even how to avoid bar fines and trolling the cheapies along the "wall of shame", I am still in the dark about how to call for cheap. I have a calling card through Pinplan but not sure if this is the most efficient way. Sometimes the clarity is garbled.

So my sage hands what is the most cost effective way for telephone communication? If its calling cards can you front me recommended names or links? I know nothing about internet calling yet, but will search out that option.

I am currently calling almost daily for 1/2 hour durations if that provides needed info.

Geez maybe I should just concentrate on the upcoming ski season and not worry about it???? Nah she's running some business stuff over there for me so its in my best interest. Maybe I will just call my gals over at the Star of Light and have them call her to forward my messages:)

Cheers.

Thanks guys for the input.

Can somebody tell me the pro's and cons of Skype? What equipment do we need? How is the sound quality and is there a noticeable delay? I take it you need to coordinate in advance to be on the internet at the same time, correct?

Thanks again.

Just download Skyp at www.skype.com for free and install it.

You need speakers and a mic, that's it.

Delay isn't too bad, considereing it's for free. If you're on a network, it may slow down the whole network, even if it's not active.

Yes, you do have to coordinate with the other party to be online at the same time.

Skype is indeed a very good alternative...

If you have a 'high speed'/decent internet access (512+kbps) you wont be able to notice a delay, similar to normal telephone. Although for best quality results I would recommend to use headphones with a microphone instead of speakers (no feedback).

When both are connected to internet, communications are free but you can also call fixed/mobile phones with Skype at very interesting rates:

Thailand ? 0.106

Thailand - Mobile ? 0.107

price per minute, including VAT

You can find the rates for all countries there:

http://www.skype.com/products/skypeout/rates/all_rates.html

Being connected to skype and not having active conversations will not slow down your network in any way.

In my case I use MSN Messenger voice/video chat (found it better than skype) with connected girls and SkypeOut (or the phone at work..) to call mobile phones.

HTH.

Joeed

IMO international phone cards are the way to go, I pay 6 aussie cents per minute with no connection fee- to her mobile phone (- less than 2baht a minute), I'm sure they are as cheap or less in the US. Clear as a normal call for me, some cards are crap, with interference, low quality, so I wouldn't buy a high value card until you know which ones are the best.

Quality seems to go down in peak times too, but in my caee I found a card which is good all the time.

Archived